372xp problem on full throttle

daveindales

Ok, my 372 has been playing up for a while, but it's got worse now. It first started by not going to full revs for a few seconds, then cleared itself. This had gradually got worse, until it seems to be choking itself, then goes fine, then chokes itself again. Seems like it's running on half power when the problem occurs.

I thought it was a carb problem, have taken the carb off, taken jets out, cleaned gauze filter and rinsed with petrol. Problem still occurring. There's plenty of fuel getting through to carb. Have taken tank vent out and all seems ok. Beside, it still did it with petrol cap loosened.

It has started suddenly stopping when cutting through wood. Not a slow stall, but very sudden.

Have replaced spark plug with another and it's still occurring. Leads to coil seem OK, nothing frayed. A work colleague suggested the coil may be playing up, and I'm beginning to think he was right. Does it sound like a faulty coil to anyone else?

Edited by daveindales

Ok, my 372 has been playing up for a while, but it's got worse now. It first started by not going to full revs for a few seconds, then cleared itself. This had gradually got worse, until it seems to be choking itself, then goes fine, then chokes itself again. Seems like it's running on half power when the problem occurs.

I thought it was a carb problem, have taken the carb off, taken jets out, cleaned gauze filter and rinsed with petrol. Problem still occurring. There's plenty of fuel getting through to carb. Have taken tank vent out and all seems ok. Beside, it still did it with petrol cap loosened.

It has started suddenly stopping when cutting through wood. Not a slow stall, but very sudden.

Have replaced spark plug with another and it's still occurring. Leads to coil seem OK, nothing frayed. A work colleague suggested the coil may be playing up, and I'm beginning to think he was right. Does it sound like a faulty coil to anyone else?

I would go very carefully on this one as it may be a split fuel line, I have had a few go on 372s especially the Xtorq ones and it occurs where the fuel line pushes through the fuel tank.

Symptoms are a good idle, will generally rev up fully but lots of bogging in bigger cuts. After a stint of this, the plug will be near white in colour!

If it is this, it is possible the piston will fry hence the warning.

It may also be fine woodchip in the carb internal gauze strainer.

Other than that, sometimes coils fail, sometimes completely and other times they act like the limiter is stuck at mid revs. Do make sure the coil is set up with the correct gap and on the correct part of the coil.

Thanks spud. Was hoping you'd comment. I've cleaned the carb gauze filter, so,i t's not that. The saw idles perfect. If it's a split fuel line, should there be fuel leaking?

Not if it is a small leak and in many cases goes unnoticed. I usually plug one end and test it without removing it using a pressure gauge.

You may be able to pull it through a few inches and then put some water and detergent on the compressed bit that sits where it has pushed through the fuel tank and use a bicycle pump or blow down it pulling it about a bit.

The pressure usually opens up splits quite well. When the saw is running, air is often sucked in to the carb rather than fuel as it offers less resistance.

Had a bad one in for porting a week ago!

Fitting a new one can be a mare and make you feel like a gynacologist:001_rolleyes::lol:

Cheers spud. First job in the morning. Will report back.

Be interesting. The Husky coils tend to be fairly reliable in my experience. Is it the XT older version or the newer Xtorq model? The later has the decomp sticking out of the top cover.

If it is the earlier one, what is the colour of the coil? Just asking in case it isn't the fuel line. Does sound likely though!

Still think its the ignition unit, sorry Steve.

No need to apologise, I have had 3-4 fuel lines faulty and no coils on 372s bar one with a strange ignition advance.

In fact, I test fuel lines now as part of a port or service BECAUSE I had a saw play up after I had serviced it because of the fuel line had a split.

It may be the coil but we shall see, not going to fall out over it that's for sure. I would check all the other possibilities before buying a new expensive part.

Hope the owner sorts it, split fuel lines are bad news!

It's got decompression on the side, spud with a blue electronic ignition unit. Probably about 5 years old.

I've had a really good look at the fuel line, pulled it out an inch or so. Can't see any sign of damage. Have stretched it a bit and it still looks ok. Petrol coming out of open carb end, but no sign of a split or leak near bit where it goes into fuel tank.

I'm lucky as I have an old 372 that I run a Lewis winch off, so I've put the coil from that on to the problem saw. Have tried it. Starts and runs ok, but I really need to try it in timber for an hour or so, before I'll know if problem is fixed. Will keep anyone interested posted.