562/261 replacement

Taupotreeman

To save searching through a hundred threads and countless posts; our 261, after going through several needle bearings and clutch drums in two years, has now cream crackered the crank shaft apparently. Our 562 has been a bag of nails from the start and currently refuses to run properly. I'm looking at a replacement for one or both and looking at not only the two usual suspects but anything else on the market worth considering. The lawn mower shop over the road has Makita ( and the mechanic there is a pretty darn good chainsaw guy) plus we have both echo and schindaiwa to add to the mix. A pretty broad question I know but............

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To save searching through a hundred threads and countless posts; our 261, after going through several needle bearings and clutch drums in two years, has now cream crackered the crank shaft apparently. Our 562 has been a bag of nails from the start and currently refuses to run properly. I'm looking at a replacement for one or both and looking at not only the two usual suspects but anything else on the market worth considering. The lawn mower shop over the road has Makita ( and the mechanic there is a pretty darn good chainsaw guy) plus we have both echo and schindaiwa to add to the mix. A pretty broad question I know but............

Along with the Echo...Dolmar (or Makita equivalent ) 5105 or 6100.

Along with the Echo...Dolmar (or Makita equivalent ) 5105 or 6100.

I'm looking more and more at alternatives to the big two. The mower shop over the road from us is a dealer for Makita so they're getting us a couple of trial saws and I'm keen for any info on them as far as power, reliability etc.

I'm looking more and more at alternatives to the big two. The mower shop over the road from us is a dealer for Makita so they're getting us a couple of trial saws and I'm keen for any info on them as far as power, reliability etc.

I have old and new Dolmar/Makita saws as well as Stihl and Husqvarna. I would say that all the makers mentioned so far have ok..good and" Oh Yea !! I like that" ..saws in there ranges. If you are looking for other brands to try out then Echo and Dolmar /Makita will give you proper" full on" Pro and semi pro alternatives I believe.

Echo 620 sx , our's has been fantastic so far , but so have our 560's .

Among those, the 560 is lighter, stronger, more responsive, more ergonomic and more nimble....

Most of them are flawless, so I would suggest either another 562xp, or the somewhat lighter 560xp.

Then replace the troublesome 261 with a 550xp (the new version of the 261 reportedly has additional issues, not surprisingly with the lightened clutch cover).

With the 550 and 560 you can interchange the bars between the saws as well, as both have the small Husky mount (K095).

That said, no saw model is perfect all the time (nothing man made is), but a lot of issues can be avoided with proper maintenance.

Among those, the 560 is lighter, stronger, more responsive, more ergonomic and more nimble....

Most of them are flawless, so I would suggest either another 562xp, or the somewhat lighter 560xp.

Then replace the troublesome 261 with a 550xp (the new version of the 261 reportedly has additional issues, not surprisingly with the lightened clutch cover).

With the 550 and 560 you can interchange the bars between the saws as well, as both have the small Husky mount (K095).

That said, no saw model is perfect all the time (nothing man made is), but a lot of issues can be avoided with proper maintenance.

We have a 562 also and we have had ongoing running issues with that too.

you shouldn't have too much hassle with The makita EA6100P 60cc its proved itself too be very reliable in the field not over priced for what you get it looks a much bigger saw than it is large petrol tank for longer working time , easy start to take the power way from the starter cord from that big compression motor

And you can use those husqvarna bars when you need them

It will handle 18"-24" bars no problem

Large air filter which will be ideal for your dry and dusty working conditions

I gotta friend in Western Australia and he loves his makita and he paid

975 Australian dollars

image.jpg.577744905040511681bf5140bd80d18e.jpg

Ah! Spring has sprung! Hibernation over!