Damage to mag casting on 346XP chain sprocket cover

Woodworks

Just replacing a broken chain brake on my saw but couldn't release the chain break. On close inspection the casting has a bit missing. I have taken a picture and it's right in the middle of the picture. Any thoughts on repair or spares?

DSC05311.jpg.8e5925d7a3730d2de6770a5dddcefaa4.jpg

Edited by Woodworks

I would try an epoxy plastic metal type repair, I use JB weld but there are plenty of others.

I guess that roller extends out over where the bit is missing, which is going to put a fair load on it you would need to build up a big triangle of JB weld going back across to the stud/post and down into that corner.

You would need to put up a "fence" of duct tape or something till the stuff went off then file the track flat after, thats all assuming nothing fits into that space.

That isn't a roller, it is the curved end of the brake band. I don't reckon that the piece missing will cause an issue as it is just a channel that allows the top of the brake mechanism to slide on one direction. Perhaps the fragment got stuck in the mechanism.

Aftermarket - it is a safety device, not gone there to date and would only do it on a customers demand and not supply and fit one without pointing out the implications.

That isn't a roller, it is the curved end of the brake band. I don't reckon that the piece missing will cause an issue as it is just a channel that allows the top of the brake mechanism to slide on one direction. Perhaps the fragment got stuck in the mechanism.

Yes not sure when it broke off but I noticed as I was really forcing the lever to release the brake and it would bend down instead of going in the direction of the spring. Can't release the brake as it is. Current plan is to shape an offcut of ally and epoxy into place.