Echo CS-4200es only running on choke.

dirtybiker

Brought a one owner from new Echo CS-4200es for £25 as it was only running on choke. Air leak or fuel starvation I thought.

Stripped it down and found it was in lovely condition. Pistion and bore are unmarked, good compression, impulse tube perfect as is the carb boot.

Fitted a new plug. Stripped and cleaned the carb and put it a couple of cycles through an ultrasonic cleaner then fitted a new diapham kit for the WT-594 carb. Reset the L and H screws to factory settings.

Fitted it all back together and it fired up straight away and purrs nicely.

Only trouble is if you touch the throttle is dies immediately!!!! So no change from when I picked it up????? Ha ha

Crank oil seals all looked very sound but even if they were leaking slightly I would have thought it would run off choke ( just badly ?)

So any thoughts gentlemen? New carb time? Anything else I've missed?

The saw stands me very little but too good to give up on it yet!

image.jpg.013a4aeb194b70eb1a9a6a2a6cc939f0.jpg

Does it run and rev on choke as I know these do like to use their choke on start up. Also have you tried bliping the throttle? To try and get revs up

Hi. Nope it doesn't rev up with the choke on and almost impossible to get it to rev up even trying to blip the throttle!!!:confused1:

If it's running on choke it sounds like it's too weak off choke. Try another turn out on the L screw and be prepared to alter the tick over screw as well.

Ok will try another turn out in the L screw tomorrow.

Fairly sure there are no air leaks and have stripped it twice and examined everything for leaks!

Sounds like an issue with the delivery of fuel on the high speed circuit. Worth opening up the H screw a turn and see what this gives.

It could be a split fuel line so that is worth a check and would say check the gauze strainer but sounds like you have. Other than that, also check the fuel filter is good.

I reckon you've got pinholes in one or both of the diaphragms in the carb, fuelling will be all over the place. If the saw has been sitting for a long time with fuel in it the ethanol will melt the diaphragms.

Had what sounds like the same symptoms on an saw that had sat for a couple or more years, would rev on the choke but died on the throttle but was very inconsistant. Pulled the carb and removed the diaphragms, when held up to the light there were 3 or 4 pin hole sized holes, a new diaphragm kit sorted it.

I reckon you've got pinholes in one or both of the diaphragms in the carb, fuelling will be all over the place. If the saw has been sitting for a long time with fuel in it the ethanol will melt the diaphragms.

Had what sounds like the same symptoms on an saw that had sat for a couple or more years, would rev on the choke but died on the throttle but was very inconsistant. Pulled the carb and removed the diaphragms, when held up to the light there were 3 or 4 pin hole sized holes, a new diaphragm kit sorted it.

Hi thanks.

I have already fitted a new diaphragm kit in the initial rebuild. But will re check everything.

Ta

Sounds like an issue with the delivery of fuel on the high speed circuit. Worth opening up the H screw a turn and see what this gives.

It could be a split fuel line so that is worth a check and would say check the gauze strainer but sounds like you have. Other than that, also check the fuel filter is good.

Fuel line is good but will check the filter. Will try winding out the H screw.

Have checked the gauze in the carb.

One slightly strange thing is that when I pulled the fuel line off the carb petrol shot out of the pipe as if it's under pressure, not had that before is it normal?

Thanks.