Ms291 / ms271

tomm156

Thinking of buying one of the above saws as local plant hire please has these on a good deal at the moment. I only use the saw about two days a week. I really don't fancy anything with auto tune or mtronic. Are the above suitable or is there an alternative apart from the 261?

Thanks

The ms271 is on my shortlist - it has received some excellent reviews although I have not had the opportunity to use one. The ms271/291 are classed as a mid range 'farmers saw' and I think in the US known as Farm Boss. What is interesting is that the ms271/291/261 are all pretty much of a similar price. The ms261 is classed as a 'professional' saw but as far as I can tell the primary difference is the electronic engine management system, better anti vib and the HD air filter. I am assuming the 261 has a better power to weight ratio but like you I am not sure I want electronic gizmo's in my saw - prefer simple, rugged reliable. I too would be interested in members views on the ms271/291 vs ms261. I have had the ms271's smaller cousin the ms231 with a 16" bar for a number of years now - it has done an incredible amount of work(much more than intended for a domestic saw of this type) and never missed a beat. I tend to use a chainsaw on average a couple of days a week.