Husqvarna 36 rebuilt but won't rev up!

Nate-Dawg343

Ok after using this site many times to fix my saws I've finally hit a stumbling block! I can't get my Husqvarna 36 to rev. Here's the thing, I bought the saw locally from a farmer that had abused it, but under all the dirt and sawdust I saw a real gem shining through (it was also very cheap).

The saw started but only just. I decided to take the plunge and make this a project saw. This is what I've done so far:

- Carb off & cleaned. New valve. New gaskets and pumps are on order, but the old ones looked in good condition.

- Replace rubber manifold

- Replace impulse line (which was cracked)

- Pull fuel line and check for holes cracks etc. Reinstall with clean fuel filter.

- New air filter.

- Flush fuel tank

- Deep clean the saw including the fuel tank breather.

- New spark plug (gaps checked)

- New ignition coil (gaps checked)

- Cylinder checked for scoring and damage, all in order.

- Pull muffler and make sure it's clean & clear.

Once I put the saw back together it cranked over first time and idled perfectly. However, when I pull the throttle the saw just about limps to full revs coughing and spluttering as she goes - with the occasional back fire! Sometimes it will cut out at full throttle other times you can nurse it all the way there but with the above wheezing.

I'm at a total lose as to where to go next? I'm sure it's a fuel supply problem but can see how? I've pulled the carb 5/6 times half expecting to find crap lodged in there somewhere, but it's clean as a whistle. My last option would be to replace the carb. I noticed that the brass / copper fuel intake looks a little over bent in the 90 degree elbow, like it's been dropped on the pipe. It really doesn't look like its impeding the fuel flow, but I might try opening the bend a little to see if that improves things. I'll probably end up crimping the dam thing shut entirely and junking the whole carb!!!

Can you experts suggest anything I've missed? I love tinkering with these little 2 stroke engines and find it somewhat relaxing when you bring one back from the dead like this one, however this Husky is killing me!!! I leave myself to the mercy of the real expects out there; please help me!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No it was a Chinese jobbie off the net. It seems to be doing the trick though. I haven't checked the fly wheel key yet, but if it was misaligned / broken wouldn't that cause problems with the idel as well not just when I gun the throttle? I can have another look tomorrow if you think that's the ticket?

Hi guys sorry I've not been ignoring you but my car was stolen the night I posted this!! I've only just got back to the Husky today. So thanks for all your posts and advice. Adw your right to question my ability. However I've checked the carb and it's been rebuilt correctly, I've lifted the valve a little to help feed fuel as it looked a little low. However it's made no difference what so ever. The ignision unit was replaced because the old one had a broken a poorly repaired cable. However I've re-soldered the cable and fitted that back on, same old revving problem with no difference.

My next plan is muffler off and clean the carbon off the spark arester screen and then pull the fly wheel and check the key for alignment. I'll update tomorrow! I'm starting to think fuel flow problems with that slightly over bent carb intake?