Need a lighter saw with grunt.

BobbyDee

I've today reached the age of 65 and can draw my state pension (hooray) but I'm finding my 18" Echo 620SX a tad heavy now (boo). I used it on Monday this week to slice and dice a big fallen ash and it took me until Wednesday to lose my aching shoulders as I normally use my Hitachi CS45EL which is also 18" but only 4-point something kilos against 6+ of the Echo but there's no way it could have coped with this particular size of tree. The Echo is a super saw in my opinion, seems to cut through anything I throw at it, starts without problem etc but it is just becoming a bit heavy for me now. Any recommendations please on what I could possibly replace it with? I would still like as much grunt as poss but not necessarily quite as much as the 620SX and definitely a bit less weight, within reason. I would prefer another Echo but don't really know much about the smaller ones, however I'm open to suggestions regarding other makes.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd go stihl ms 241 and get it ported. I suppose you're going to have to live with a little less power. (but to be honest, if wielding the weight of a 60cc saw us an issue, a less powerful saw is probably wise?)

The difference between 50 and 60cc saws isn't much so I'd step down another notch.

I had my first full. Day on saws in about 5 months. I'm no were near pension age but I will suffer aches for a few days. Either little and often or build up to full days.

It's like any exercise, the more I do it. The better I cope with it.

Just thought this might be worth a mention.

As Steve and stubby recommend a ported saw is above it's tier.

I have a 346xp ported and it glides through the work better than a 357xp non ported.

It all depends in what you are cutting , bar size etc. most of mine is done with a 13inch bar. Then when I need bigger I go though other saws up to 36inch.