More trees killed

Taupotreeman

'Selfish vandals' hack up trees to protect Lake Taupo views

'Selfish vandals' hack up trees to protect Lake Taupo views | Stuff.co.nz

Seems to be an ever more regular occurrence around these parts. I'm losing count of the number of trees I have to deal with that are poisoned, hacked at, snapped off, topped etc and pretty much all for views.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brutal always disappointing and it's not nice to say but it's a shame it doesn't go wrong when they do it.

For example it lands on a neighbours house or car.

Or they get trapped and have to be rescued by emergency services.

They don't deserve to live where they do.

I'm dealing with this on a regular basis. Trees hacked, felled or poisoned. now one of the Councillors has taken it a step further with getting it in to the media so hopefully we'll get a bit of publicity around it. Shipping containers would be awesome but it's never going to happen unfortunately. Well, not unless I'm the CEO!

It doesn't have to happen just mention what a great idea it is. Pay a haulier to come unload one then turn truck round. Have a break or go and do another job. Pick it up the other way round later.

He was only repositioning the container.

Sunday morning when most are at home and council office shut down.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree that cutting trees that were there before the houses is wrong, however I do feel for people who have enjoyed a view and then get it blighted by trees.

There are places round here where the council have planted trees that are slowly removing some fabulous views :thumbdown:

Trees - necessity. View - luxury.

A bit blunt, but at its core it's not even up for debate.

Trees may be necessary, but putting them where they block the view isn't, simply plant trees where views aren't blocked, its hardly rocket science:001_rolleyes:

Also coppiced tree are more beneficial (environmentally) so trees can be managed in a way that has less impact.

Trees may be necessary, but putting them where they block the view isn't, simply plant trees where views aren't blocked, its hardly rocket science:001_rolleyes:

Also coppiced tree are more beneficial (environmentally) so trees can be managed in a way that has less impact.

Huck, some of these trees were panted before the houses were built, especially in this case. Granted, they were small but that's how it is. They are also a fair way from the lake and have a good view around. The problem is people want a 180 degree uninterrupted view. They can't handle one tree within that 180 degrees. In other places, there were always trees there such as on lake margins, embankments etc. the land owners have topped the tees over the years for the views (without permission) but as the rules have tightened so the issues come to the fore. I can think of a lot of places around where people have bought or built on reserve edges with trees in situ but these have obviously grown, as trees do. I question how much should be down the prospective buyer of a property in regard to considering what there view could or could not be in the coming years?