Snowdon Horseshoe route.

Midge

Any walkers on here that have done this route?

Couple of friends are doing it next weekend and asked me to go along but im no mountaineer!

I'm fit enough to walk 7 miles but this looks like a serious climbing/walking route. So if there's any walkers on here with any advice please share :thumbup1:

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

honestly I love Snowdon I have a cottage in llanberis and know the area well

at the moment there is an awful lot of snow up there unless your friends have winter mountaineering skills crampons ice axes and all the relevant clothing etc I would give it a miss the Snowdon horseshoe even in perfect conditions is a big deal especialy crib goch look it up on you tube it is scary

first time I did Snowdon I did the horseshoe rout.

Me an'a friend doin a weekend adventure like a pair of numpties ended up climbing Snowdon the hard way.

both overloaded with camping tackle that included tins of beans an other crap.

he had the good sense to turn round half way up, me I carried on till I reached the top.

Though I did nearly fall off at one point, my rucksack snagging a rock as I crossed along a dangerous looking crevice... s**t myself for a minute LOLs..

I haven't done it since, I prefer the pig track, done that loads an'in all weathers..

Good tip for you though, prime your legs by goin on a long walk or run a few days before you set off...

Any walkers on here that have done this route?

Couple of friends are doing it next weekend and asked me to go along but im no mountaineer!

I'm fit enough to walk 7 miles but this looks like a serious climbing/walking route. So if there's any walkers on here with any advice please share :thumbup1:

Don't even attempt it unless you have crampons and an ice axe and know how to use them... unless it's clear of snow and ice in which case crack on!

Been ages since I was up that way, but several of the outdoor kit shops in Betwys-y-coed will have a weather board showing conditions up high. It's well worth checking on the way through.

Be careful and don't take any unnecessary risks. Conditions are particularly unforgiving at this time of year.

A bit of an aside, but I always think the parking and paths at snowden lull casual walkers into a false sense of security. Too often I've seen poorly equipped people there, and any other places, with no real idea of what they're doing. Shorts and t shirts may be great in llanberis but no good when it's peeing down with twenty mph winds halfway up the pyg track.

This thread has brought back memories; I did the Pyg track as a kid back in 1980 as part of an outwards bounds trip. Was very hot at the time and apart from the heat it was an easy walk.

Went back a year later with a different group and did the Horseshoe route, an entirely different kettle of fish. The ridge bit (forget the name) scared the crap out of me and a girl with us at the time 'froze', it took about 30 mins to talk her across it. Both my visits were in the Spring.

I would not consider doing the Snowdon Horseshoe route this time of year. I moved onto the Lake district and have since gone on to walk most of the fells at all times of the year so consider myself an experienced fell walker albeit lapsed:biggrin:

I would go for breakfast in Pete eats in Llanberis and give the Horseshow a miss. The weather is rough as hell at the moment on the tops. Llanberis path is probably okay, if you have crampons and ice axes. The weather at the moment is likely to give rise to avalanches. Probably 2000' of ice to get over up to the summit. Chris in Snowdonia

I second the comments about Cib Goch. To the uninitiated it's a bit of a 'brown trouser' route and in the snow without the expertise and kit it's a stupid idea.

Tryfan and Bristly ridge is a slightly easier way to get into trouble. I'd suggest sticking to the easier routes and maybe read Poucher's book for a variety of routes.