Where do I find details about TPOs and conservation areas?

Woodworks

Sure this is simple one for those that know but new territory for me.

Been asked by a friend up the line to do some work on their woodlands. Various tasks from planking up fallen trees, logging what's down (my bit) and making safe anything that might be dangerous as their kids play in the woods. It's all mature oak and looks fairly unmanaged to date. I have two arborists coming with me but I am responsible for the job and not sure how to make sure what can and can't be done.

Is there an online database or do I contact the local council?

Thanks

Councils generally have maps showing their conservation areas on their website, some also have TPO maps on the site.

You can ring the planing department or call in at the town hall, they may try to fob you off saying you must email, but I believe the information is classed as "within the public domain" so I think you are entitled to demand to see the map's/plans.

Of cause you need to be reasonably diplomatic as they can make life difficult if you get on their wrong side.

Councils generally have maps showing their conservation areas on their website, some also have TPO maps on the site.

You can ring the planing department or call in at the town hall, they may try to fob you off saying you must email, but I believe the information is classed as "within the public domain" so I think you are entitled to demand to see the map's/plans.

Of cause you need to be reasonably diplomatic as they can make life difficult if you get on their wrong side.

Great Huck

Found it on a map and no TPOs or conservation areas marked. Is the map the bee all and end all to this?

Sure this is simple one for those that know but new territory for me.

Been asked by a friend up the line to do some work on their woodlands. Various tasks from planking up fallen trees, logging what's down (my bit) and making safe anything that might be dangerous as their kids play in the woods. It's all mature oak and looks fairly unmanaged to date. I have two arborists coming with me but I am responsible for the job and not sure how to make sure what can and can't be done.

Is there an online database or do I contact the local council?

Thanks

What do you need two arborists for? Is there climbing work to be done? Sounds more woodland management than tree surgery... The latter will cost a lot more.

Great Huck

Found it on a map and no TPOs or conservation areas marked. Is the map the bee all and end all to this?

If its showing all clear I would then just ring planing on the morning we were starting the work or the afternoon before and say you wish to confirm the map/plan information is unto date, take the persons name and ask them to log your call :001_smile:

What do you need two arborists for? Is there climbing work to be done? Sounds more woodland management than tree surgery... The latter will cost a lot more.

I say Arborists but not sure on one of the guys but he is pretty experienced on woodland management and also runs a large chainsaw mill. Need a climber as there are a lot of decaying branches over pathways that they want made safe. Price was not cheap but they come with bags of experience, work like dogs and come with a chipper.