Splitting wood

Richard 1234

Hi I'm after some advice please.

I've got loads of wood to cut and split but it's been drying for months/years so cutting is fine but I'm struggling to split with an axe. Is the anything I could use to help. Just hand tools not worth buying a splitter for unless that's the only way.

Thanks all

Hi mate is it hard wood if it oak beech then not so easy mate take a chainsaw to it or a good axe or wedges better when it green to split thanks Jon

Wood grenades are really good with a sledge hammer. Not a good idea to use the back of a normal axe (don't ask me how I know). The smooth conical wedges without the barbs are not very good since they bounce out so go for the wood grenade with barbs, see photo below. I used this combination a lot to start with. If a few bashes of this doesn't work, then put to one side for the chainsaw.

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1447806543.580844.jpg.f1ed08f9831b7ddb28606a27dd01bd5a.jpg

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1447806512.372464.jpg.1934d04849f6b51095375fc3a1c76f44.jpg

Just choose your battles a bit, heavy knots/unions then put the saw through it instead. Splitting fresh cut wood is generally easier, if you have a weathered end it will split more easily from the fresh cut, so tip the dark side down on your chopping block, and ... get a massive chopping block and sit it on some firm ground.

Some woods split better on the tangent, a few need to go straight across the middle, if youve got a tough bit look for a crack its developing from drying.

Splitting with an axe will beat a log splitter for speed on decent wood, if the wood is stringy and wont part, using a wedge or one of the cone shaped things may be easier but you will be doing that for recreation not reward!