Log storing

Bird

2 questions

I'm storing my wood in ton bags and tarp over top and they are getting mould growing in them how to I stop this and what causes it ?

Next question how can you store lots of logs with not much room, only thing I can think of is making a 4x4 cube with heras fence panels ?

2 questions

I'm storing my wood in ton bags and tarp over top and they are getting mould growing in them how to I stop this and what causes it ?

Next question how can you store lots of logs with not much room, only thing I can think of is making a 4x4 cube with heras fence panels ?

Hi MATE no air wind and sun best put into a well ventilated log shed slats on the side rooftop nice easy job thanks John

2 questions

If your using ton builders bags they wont let much air through the wood so it will stay wet with a tarp over the top. It'll go mouldy in no time.

You can make a cheap log store using the 3' x 6' pallets from builders yards. Stand two back to back with a length of fencing wire between them as far apart as you want the store to be deep. Add as many pairs of pallets to the side as you want. Close the ends off with more pallets and wire them in place. Chuck your logs over the top finishing the level of the logs with a slight fall. Put your tarp over the top but dont cover too much of the sides so the air can move through the pile. When you undo the wire on a pallet to get at the logs dont let it go or the far side will fall out.

If you have spare stock netting kicking about you can make rings out of that, a few metres wide, and you can go 2 or 3 high. Ideally with pallets underneath or the bottom logs will stay wet. And with some sort of tarp/plastic over the top

The only problem is you really have to empty them in a oner as once you start taking logs out you lose the shape of the roof

• 3 weeks later...

You can make a cheap log store using the 3' x 6' pallets from builders yards. Stand two back to back with a length of fencing wire between them as far apart as you want the store to be deep. Add as many pairs of pallets to the side as you want. Close the ends off with more pallets and wire them in place. Chuck your logs over the top finishing the level of the logs with a slight fall. Put your tarp over the top but dont cover too much of the sides so the air can move through the pile. When you undo the wire on a pallet to get at the logs dont let it go or the far side will fall out.

I'm about to go down this route. Just got some free pallets from work so thought....2 pallets as base, 2 as back, 2 as front, and 1 at each end. What you reckon? I know it won't be much storage space but is enough to get me going for now. Then just put a sheet of tarp over top but leave the 4 sides exposed?

Thanks.