Battery Saws... anyone used them?

GT Jones

Right, trying to sus out some battery saws for a road clearance job, due to noise levels?

Has anyone tried the stihls or huskys? on paper they look very similar and specs are saying same sort of battery times.

We can only get traffic lights/closures at nights and then cant use a saw after 10:30! Most of the stuff is small, less than 6" most less than 4".

Trigger time is 30 minutes for both and they both have options for battery packs to extend use upto 3 hrs.

Any body got anything on them would be appreciated.

Cheers GT Jones

This is from my thread a few week ago

Been trailing a Stihl MSA 160t. Very impressed I must say.

The battery (AP115) has lasted well and it was cutting ash and beech upto bar length of 12" weight wise it feels like the 193t I brought the other month. (Just looked at stats 3.5kg with battery)

It was nice not to wear ear defenders all day until we chipped the brash.

Looking at the sums (all approx)

£260 saw

£200 two batteries

£60 charger

£520 total so puts it around 201t price however your not paying out for fuel and 2 stroke which saves around £400pa so it almost pays for itself in a year, with the health benefit of no fumes

And I can knock out a small mushroom to test it ripping. Again did reasonably well

[ATTACH]187683[/ATTACH]

Here's a review from the company I work at. It's got a vid of the saw being used on around 10" oak. After felling the oak with a petrol saw I broke down the crown with the battery saw. It did well and started to log it up from the thin end must have got almost 1/3 the way along the stem.

http://gclm.co.uk/cordless-arborist-chainsaw-msa-160-t-review/

Here's a review from the company I work at. It's got a vid of the saw being used on around 10" oak. After felling the oak with a petrol saw I broke down the crown with the battery saw. It did well and started to log it up from the thin end must have got almost 1/3 the way along the stem.

Cordless Arborist Chainsaw MSA 160 T Review | GC Landscape Management Ltd

Thank you. Good review link and video.:thumbup1:

STIHL Top handle saw I have been using over a year now and no complaints apart from the odd oiling issue with the bar mainly you have to keep it spotlessly clean .

Am using the ling reach hedge cutters along with standard hedge trimmers and batteries are holding out well .

There is now a AP300 Battery now,great for a Sunday morning sneaky tree job ...........

Ste