Allergic Reaction Vs Anaphylaxis

Katie at FoxMedics

Our 2 weeks of Summer time is nearly over :cool:but there are still some wasps and busy bees flying around. Some of you lovely lot might have the misfortune of suffering from allergies or even worse an anaphylactic reaction to stings or one of the many other allergens out there. :willy:

Unfortunately it can take years for people to realise they may react to a certain substance and it is usually on the second or even later exposure of the particular allergen.:scared1: Once exposed to the allergen the body mistakes it for something harmful and tries to protect us against it by producing anti bodies. These antibodies when exposed to the specific allergen will release certain chemicals such as histamine which can cause a runny nose, itchy eyes, red bumpy rash (hives) to the skin. With a severe reaction our breathing can also be affected causing wheezing, also vomiting, swelling to the tongue or throat, dizziness due to lowering of blood pressure. :puke:

These severe reactions need to be taken seriously as they are the signs of an Anaphylactic Shock and will need medical intervention immediately.

People that are known to have severe reactions or Anaphylaxis should hopefully carry an EpiPen which is a syringe containing adrenaline. :nurse: Once the EpiPen is administered correctly the severe signs and symptoms of the reaction will ease in minutes.

Further medical help from the nearest Accident and Emergency is also advised in case of any other medical treatment needed and also a delayed allergic reaction can occur which may need a further dose of adrenaline. :post:

Stay safe all!:willy: And remember love the bees (maybe not too close) and they will love us back.. And yummy to honey.

According to most medical practice and my own practice it is very advised unless of course you carry 2 EpiPens.. The symptoms can return and if you have no further EpiPens or access to adrenaline then this of course can be life threatening. If you are working it a remote area it maybe advised to try and have 2 EpiPens but this would be down to the discretion of your own GP. It is also not just adrenaline that can relieve symptoms and there is of course the concern of low blood pressure that may need medical intervention.

If you do suffer with Anaphylaxis then definitely speak to your GP and see what they advise if travelling abroad and in remote areas.. Obviously not Cheshire!

Definitely carry your epi pens.:thumbup1:

I have never really been bothered with wasp stings until last year quoting a job in a wood and stood on a nest. I got stung about 4 times and within 10mins I looked like elephant man with a hell boy club hand! I also came out in hives all over.

I luckly didn't have any airway issues and all was well but I now carry 2 pens in my truck.

Two weeks ago I got stung once on my head. I debated using my pen but within 10 mins the hives came out so I jabbed myself.

I have since got replacement pens as they only have a years life and for the sake of £8 I would not bee without:willy:them.

Jim

The last wasp sting I had two years ago made my hand ballon right up and was agony for days. I never really reacted with stings but doc said the more you have the worse it will get. Not sure if I should carry a epi pen but I carry old style piriton which needs to be taken with in minutes of the sting.

Definitely carry your epi pens.:thumbup1:

I have never really been bothered with wasp stings until last year quoting a job in a wood and stood on a nest. I got stung about 4 times and within 10mins I looked like elephant man with a hell boy club hand! I also came out in hives all over.

I luckly didn't have any airway issues and all was well but I now carry 2 pens in my truck.

Two weeks ago I got stung once on my head. I debated using my pen but within 10 mins the hives came out so I jabbed myself.

I have since got replacement pens as they only have a years life and for the sake of £8 I would not bee without:willy:them.

Jim

£8 is a bargain I think the nhs pay £28 for them. Will save days of pain and may even save a life.

The last wasp sting I had two years ago made my hand ballon right up and was agony for days. I never really reacted with stings but doc said the more you have the worse it will get. Not sure if I should carry a epi pen but I carry old style piriton which needs to be taken with in minutes of the sting.

iam the same , pretty much a day off work the next day if i get stung, cant hardly move my hand. didnt realise the epi pens where that cheap, should get one just in case really.

carl

I got done by a hornet about a year ago. Never had an issue with stings before but had a really bad reaction to it. Massive swelling, skin reaction and high pulse rate, full on A and E and ambulance job. Always carry an epi pen with me now. Horrible experience

IMG_20140911_091558_287.jpg.29f3582d3f19ed609dd0325235352f1d.jpg

I got done by a hornet about a year ago. Never had an issue with stings before but had a really bad reaction to it. Massive swelling, skin reaction and high pulse rate, full on A and E and ambulance job. Always carry an epi pen with me now. Horrible experience

That's how I look every morning lol! :blushing:

Just looks like you've been on the piss the night before! :laugh1: