Quadchip shearbars.

Ty Korrigan

Hi,

I'm just overhauling the Quadchip at 750 ish hours/3 years this month.

Whilst replacing a roller drive motor I notice a distinct yet subtle rounding of the 2 shearbars.

Is it worth turning these?

Or is the effect minimum for the effort required?

Cheers

Ty

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had to replace them as 1 broke and they got done at same time as bairings replaced by local dealer so sorry I can't help with telling how much of a pig they are to do but can definitely say they improved performance dramatically.

Really wish I'd been able to afford to keep it as well as getting the new machine as was such a good chipper.

Does it chip as well as it used to? As someone who stands at the hopper a lot you should know, ime a slightly rounded anvil doesn't make THAT much difference. But if you're there and it's apart it's worth doing. But I'm not sure at what stage of dismantling the front end you're at.

Wear such as this is so slow that noticing it goes...un-noticed.

Not as if I just woke up one morning and thought "merde alors mon broyeur marche tres mal"

The bars go from a nice sharp edge to a very slight smooth one.

So the drop off in performance is such a slow process as to be very hard to notice.

No dings, no chunks missing, just a small detail that may be worth acting upon.

I can see the bolts but access is as ever tight so I will need to become a contortionist for a few hours (may even be easier with a mudguard off oddly enough)

Even looking forward to acomplishing the task!

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Ty

Edited by Ty Korrigan