Lawnmower recommendation

Chilledbud

Hi there,

Looking at purchasing a new lawnmower for our 500m2 sized garden.

It's a new, flat lawn, but it shared with 10 chickens and 20 odd fruit trees.

I like the grass to be around 50mm as it does well with the chickens then, when it was cut shorter it didn't seem to cope as well.

I much prefer to mulch so that's an element for a new purchase, but with the grass being 50mm will they cope well?

I've a budget of £1000 if needed, but I'm not against spending less if there's no need to spend the full budget. I'm looking at purchasing one that will last for years as it's not something I want to purchase a new one every few years :biggrin:.

I've a Hayter Spirit 41 currently, but it struggles with any kind of damp grass and it's becoming a pain in the behind, making it much more of a chore than it needs to be. Part of my thinking was purchasing a dedicated mulcher and using the Hayter for when the grass has had a growth spurt.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I run a Viking great machine! There is a vid on here somewhere of the new dedicated Viking mulching mower working in the damp looks very well made.

Maybe look at a Toro they have been producing mulching mowers for years and the top end commercial mowers are well put together.

I got my Viking from George Browns would recommend them but obviously depends on your location.

Went and purchased the Viking 650 VM this morning from the local Stihl/Viking dealer, purchased it for £620 with a free service.

Sadly after the 3rd time of starting her up, the pull cord has so recoil. Had a quick look and there doesn't seem to be an easy fix, so bad to the dealer tomorrow :sneaky2: Not a great start that!

Not a good start , I use a tree strap has a quick release on the stop start handle so one is not having to keep stopping/starting the engine BUT and big BUT Don't put your hand near rear discharge if blocks up has those blades have a high lip on them .

Ste

I've got that 650VM as well.

T'was great for the first seasons use (only about 7-8 hours a week) but this years it seems to be unravelling. Currently with dealer for second warranty work of the year as the drives completely screwed.

Stihl seem to be dragging their heals on warranty work as well at present so it's left me a little miffed.

I've also got the 545VM. It's OK for a smaller mower but the 650 is a different league (when it's working)

Tim

I am realy enjoying my honda hrx 537 awsome mower best I have ever had. Big Wheels, Fantastic Hydro Drive, Light manovorable, mulching or collect at flick of a switch, powerful, fast, reasonably good mulching, fantastic collect brims big grassbox it actally makes mower too heavy. It has a 4"/100mm hieght it is pretty good in long grass & rough ground. Never missed a beat & its done alot of work. Does a good quality cut too it ant no pre 2005 hayter 56 but more than exeptable for 4 wheels. The only dissadvantages are plasticy build & strugles in the wet. I can put up with that as its so good in every over way. Will buy another.

20150523_113142.jpg.77b03c61a21026983636d7a64f904fa8.jpg