danshayler

Hi all, I am due to leave the forces in a year and intend to qualify as a tree surgeon. I was a landscaper before I joined (15 long years ago), always keep myself in good shape, enjoy the outdoors, honking weather and all that guff...

Basically, I intend to take my newly learned trade abroad, possibly France or Canada and have a few questions before I take the leap:

Can you earn the money abroad? With the French and Canadians alike using wood as fuel more than here, surely everyone has a chainsaw in their shed?

Qualifications wise, before I commit all my resettlement grant to say kingswood for example, are the courses here recognised abroad?

While I'm looking at courses, can anyone reccomend the basics I need to be legally employable to gain experience, including climbing. I am after being a monkey with a saw to begin with, earning some money whist looking at education in conservation, forestry in the long run.

Any help would be greatly appreciated or advice from anyone who has gone down the same route as I intend to do, thanks!

Dan.

NPTC Qualifications are not really recognised here in France. However strictly speaking no qualifications are NEEDED at all as its an unregulated industry. Expect paperwork and bureaucracy at every turn. All that being said, I am trying hard to set myself up here, and its a great place to be :thumbup:

Get a few years experience then travel, everywhere looks for roughly 3+ years climbing experience when applying abroad. Good plan to have a plan B as you won't be able to climb forever. Your NPTC's are a must, CS30 31 38 39 are the basics and a good understanding of tree biology and tree ID will be helpful.

NPTC's are just the start and a gateway to the tree industry.

good luck

Thanks for the reply's. I didn't mention the fact I am in my mid 30's. Although I run and cycle a lot, very active and keep in good shape. Do you guys think age is an issue for starting this as my second career? I know everybody is different and attitude is the key but I admit. It's playing on my mind.

For this reason I have seen the combined courses that kingswood do, fully qualified climber in 28 days! That sounds like the course I'm after.

We have a army chap in his late 30's work for us when he is on leave. He is seeing out the last of 22 years and plans to work full time as an arborist when he leaves. His fitness levels are insane and his attitude is absolutely perfect, I see him climbing into his 50's. So it can be done and you should go for it if thats what you fancy.

My advise would be to get as much experience as often as you can. Qualified in 28 days maybe, but those qualifications will mean almost nothing against experience.

Hi

Id get established in the UK before moving abroad

Moving to France is fairly straight forward but setting up a business as well as all the other things you need to deal with could be quite a mountain to climb, Im not saying don't do it but it could be a rocky ride particularly if you need an income stream.

The life in France is excellent, however finding work in a country with fairly high unemployment in some regions is going to be tough, how good is your French?

Just my thoughts,

Bon courage

N

You might be fully qualified after 28 days but itll take a few years under the wing of a good arborist before you're up to scratch IMO.

Here (sweden) the HSE require you to have training suitable to the task no older than 5years, in the event of an accident they'll then look into the training you had to see if it was adequate, doesn't matter what country or language you took it in.

It'd prob be easier to start a company with no experience or from scratch abroad rather than the UK as from my understanding/experience the UK has so much red tape/competition to contend with