Elm burrs turned green?

MattyF

Picked up a couple of large ones yesterday off a bloke down the pub , what's the best to do with this ? The faller wants a bowl in return for them can it be turned green or would it be better left too dry then turned.

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1436304620.305824.jpg.65833784b12add897be18cf435b33af9.jpg

Thanks mat

Hate to think of the lovely stem they were butchered off of.

Don't work your self up j they came off a tiny wolf stem , the guy has some mill able stuff if you want I'll take pics and send them too you, it's going at £45 a tonne but there is not quite an arctic load but tbh I don't know as I've not seen it.

i think you should use a bowl saver on those to get the best out of them other wise you only get two bowls.

i think i can get 8 out of those.

Bowl saver ? I'm thinking you can get a few off them for sure.would you put them at the back of the shed for a couple of years though? I've only turned stuff that I've salvaged and left once it's dried if I've wanted to keep it.

Don't work your self up j they came off a tiny wolf stem , the guy has some mill able stuff if you want I'll take pics and send them too you, it's going at £45 a tonne but there is not quite an arctic load but tbh I don't know as I've not seen it.

I am glad! It makes you cry the stems that get ringed up/hacked up because of people sadly not being clued up. I'm not saying it's anyone's fault, only that I'd urge any cutter to post a couple of photos of a stem that they think is possibly unusual. You might be surprised of it's value.

Anyway, I'm OK for elm at the moment. Looking at three loads next Monday in Morayshire :D

I would of rather he put the whole thing on one of the fire wood loads we just brought off him.. Would of rather of seen it on my mill! Luckily I did find what I think is the dead top off that tree and mill it when we moved one of the loads.

Bowl saver ? I'm thinking you can get a few off them for sure.would you put them at the back of the shed for a couple of years though? I've only turned stuff that I've salvaged and left once it's dried if I've wanted to keep it.

a bowlsaver will give you a nest of bowls rather than one big one.

personally i would use the bowlsaver to get 3-4 roughed out bowls from each burr then seal the grain and leave for 6 months to a years for it to dry.

Woodcut Bowlsaver Bowl Coring System - Woodturning Lathe Accessories - Woodturning Lathes - Woodturning - Woodturning & Crafts | Axminster Tools & Machinery

[ame]

[/ame]