Husqvarna 281XP Clutch Thread?

tomlt

Hi All,

I'm changing the clutch on my 281 XP (earlyish model with metal chain brake handle). I'm come a bit unstuck as the Hyway clutch I ordered from the bay of e, won't screw on more than 1-2threads before locking tight.

I've check the dimensions on the crank @ 11.8mm OD and 1.25mm (or 20tpi) as best as I can with Verniers & Micrometer. The clearance hole in the clutch is a little over 10.5mm, but not 11mm (I'm guessing around 10.8mm because this would be a clearance drill for a M12 thread).

Does anyone know what the thread is? I'm going to have to get a LH tap to rethread the clutch a little. I've checked old vs. new clutch and the other dimensions, pitch etc. seem to be spot on, I just think the new clutch thread is a little on the tight side and might want easing a little by running a tap through it a few times, any other thoughts?

Thanks, Tom.

Send it back and get one that fits properly a tap is going to cost you as much as a new clutch.

Do we actually know if all the crankshafts and clutches were exactly the same?

As I recall it, changes did happen on other 2xx series saw models in the mid to late 1980. It may be worth it to look trough the IPLs.

Then again - you may just have got a faulty chutch.....

Had the exact problem with one I ordered for a 395 so I took off the clutch shoes and springs from the new clutch kit that would not fit and fitted it all back together on the old clutch spindle and it worked fine , saved the hassle of having to re-order although a bit of a faff.

The thread size on the crank has never changed on the 281, there was a change from a single clutch spring to three smaller springs, i agree send the thing back, sounds like a cheap Chinese thing, it will probably fall to bits after a couple of uses, buy original parts where there is a possible safety issue