I. hispidus (old + new + canker!) on ash

Kveldssanger

Saw this today whilst out in a local park. Not only can we see the old bracket on the underside of this main limb, though we can also observe a huge canker and the beginnings of a new bracket forming atop the same stem.

Pardon the darkness - was pointing a potato up at the sky to take these photos.

So here we see the specimen. A sizable ash; certainly dominant in the local landscape. Note the arrow points to the limb in question.

Atpy9Vm.jpg

Here we can observe the desiccated bracket on the underside of the limb.

IO7FDUD.jpg

And again!

lhIdvjK.jpg

And the bright orange (take my word for it) growth now emerging atop the same stem. The lower arrow points to the old bracket.

nqyhhe2.jpg

And the canker. Again the lower arrow points to the old bracket from last year.

y74OxpU.jpg

And in its glory...

NAtGinS.jpg

And all three. You'll really have to take my word for it, sadly. Top to bottom : canker, new growth, old growth.

SoaQBRL.jpg

I consider the pruning wounds, evident in some of the photos (such as the last) are the potential cause of this decay. Likely alongside historic storm damage, too (perhaps the third picture shows storm damage that has been remedied somewhat).

Edited by Kveldssanger

• 3 weeks later...

Now those pictures are much clearer! Can hispidus cause burr growths like that? I'd guess entry point was the pruned branch just above the old bracket, and the decay is now making its way up and past it. I reckon the burr is a separate beast entirely. Are you responsible for the tree? Any idea on its future?

Apparently the tree has always had something going on with it, be it storm damage, fungal decay, or otherwise. I am responsible in part for the tree. Its future would ideally be one of retention, though the limb stretches over a rather busy path unfortunately.