Rock Stumpmaster vs Original

TTS North

Evening all,

There was a good thread a short while back about the rock Original Stump Grinder.

I've had 4 requests in the last week for stump work and like many I'm looking at a small model grinder to add a bit more to what we can offer clients. I'd rather have something smaller, new and cheapish, rather than something like a HB20, just to test the water - if I get on well with it and it fits into my business then I'll look to upgrade. So it only needs to pay for itself. I know it's mainly for conifers, and the 3 foot sycamores stumps I'll still have to walk away from.

It's a model which worked well with the chipper (cheap Chinese generated income so upgraded to new CS100 within six months and haven't looked back).

I see there is a newer Rock Stumpmaster 2 15HP JD . Is this better than the original - worth the extra cost? It would be trailered with the chipper so fold down handles aren't a buying point, but it does it work better/last longer, is it cheaper to run and maintain?

I know there was some discussion about teeth differences (which I don't claim to understand properly). Is one type better than the other?

Anyone have any views? A bit of experienced advice is needed here!

Cheers, TTS.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which chipper did you have?

Was a titan pro thing - only had it six months, fine as far as it went, but had to replace a few poor quality bits - e.g. exhaust studs working loose and snapping off, with better quality. Didn't get the feeling it would stand up to long professional use, but it's lot cheaper than a cs100 and did dismantle really easily for transport. Decent starter machine but be prepared for a bit of home mechanics to fettle it and don't expect a timberwolf or greenmech. If you've a lot of heavy chipping to do then view it as a stop gap/home machine.

My mate has a lumag grinder, looks the same as the rock one. For what it cost its fine! Do 10 jobs with it and it's all gravy from there!:)

I got one and it's the same, yes it's Chinese and the throttle lever was shite, changed that and the rest is fine. Paid for itself very quick.

• 1 month later...