Sprinter or Transit

WeFixIt

I am looking to update one of the vans but stuck between the 2 !!

LWB HIGH TOP TRANSIT or

SWB HIGH TOP SPRINTER

both about the same size yet each have many good and bad points

Primal get one no older than 5 or 6 years old to replace a transit 350 125hp LWB HT with a well worked 200,000 miles on the clock

Has anyone had problems with either? And what were they!

It will be interesting to see which has been brand?

We have 4 mercs, wouldnt buy anything else. We have sold some transits in past, vast difference in build quality and sound of engine. Merc parts very reasonable and reliability brilliant. From what I have been told try and buy a later new shape as early new shape Sprinters had electrical gremlins. We have 2 old ones and 2 new ones so either 2-3 or 14 years old. Clutches and starters are poor on transits especially if towing. I think you are looking at a MWB sprinter to compare with LWB transit

I run a 12 plate MWB Med roof Transit 280 with 125ps and really cant fault it except for the occasional bout of diesel knock when the wiring loom connectors dry out. That is a bit of a pain when it has to go in for sorting on the diagnostics.

What I like about it is that the FWD gives a low rear sill height which keeps the angle of the loading ramps down, and there is a full 54" between the arches which lets me get most mowers up to 48" in. Even the Cub Cadet 50" goes in but with a slight negative clearance requiring an entry speed of around 5mph:biggrin:

I find the MWB just about manageable in most domestic driveways, I know if I went to LWB there would be a lot of properties that I could not turn round in the drive with a LWB, meaning I would have to load on the road.

We have 4 mercs, wouldnt buy anything else. We have sold some transits in past, vast difference in build quality and sound of engine. Merc parts very reasonable and reliability brilliant. From what I have been told try and buy a later new shape as early new shape Sprinters had electrical gremlins. We have 2 old ones and 2 new ones so either 2-3 or 14 years old. Clutches and starters are poor on transits especially if towing. I think you are looking at a MWB sprinter to compare with LWB transit

Yeah you could be right about the length the sprinter would be a MWB

sitting in a sprinter 2 things I noticed straight away was the pointless waste of space in the cab roof!!!

And if you a bit long in the leg! If you move the seat back the divide in the door window fall directly in the middle of the off side mirror

I've heard transits over the last five years have been having electrical problems!

And I have heard a few moaning about the cab on the sprinter that it's to high and feels to spacey to be countable?

My brothers a merc Specilists so the logical line of thought is the sprinter but I've always had transits in the past and the driving position ect always seem to be good so really stuck at the cross roads to which way to go!

The starter motors on transits only go because of them filling up with sh*t off the dual mass flywheel. If you have the conversion done like I did to a solid flywheel there spot on think It cost £600.00 of the top of my head. As said above the electric's are shocking literally you get more lights on the dash than Blackpool promenade at Christmas. Personally I would ask for a test-drive on the Nissan cabstar an Isuzu grafter. Go Japanese.

The starter motors on transits only go because of them filling up with sh*t off the dual mass flywheel. If you have the conversion done like I did to a solid flywheel there spot on think It cost £600.00 of the top of my head. As said above the electric's are shocking literally you get more lights on the dash than Blackpool promenade at Christmas. Personally I would ask for a test-drive on the Nissan cabstar an Isuzu grafter. Go Japanese.

Yeah I changed mine to a solid state clutch 80,000 miles ago as I do a lot of towing back wheel drive Is a must!

And as it will be service van the latter two don't fall into the suitable!