My first employee - working hours

Davescay

Hi

I've just took on my first employee as an apprentice. Normally i've used subbies and pay by days rate, we work through the day and eat when on the road.

What working week do most people use? I work on 8-5 Mon-Fri which works out at 45hours. Do people take breaks off that to 40 hours paid a week? 37.5hours seems to be a common week but what hours do you do to get that number

I've had a quick look at working time regs and from what i can see he will get a 20 minute break each day which i don't have to pay him for.

Your thoughts on this will be much appreciated

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

I've just took on my first employee as an apprentice. Normally i've used subbies and pay by days rate, we work through the day and eat when on the road.

What working week do most people use? I work on 8-5 Mon-Fri which works out at 45hours. Do people take breaks off that to 40 hours paid a week? 37.5hours seems to be a common week but what hours do you do to get that number

I've had a quick look at working time regs and from what i can see he will get a 20 minute break each day which i don't have to pay him for.

Your thoughts on this will be much appreciated

Tbh I reckon it's a bit tight to not pay someone for their one break of the day, seems a bit mercenary

Yea, sorry for misinforming you, I've just been looking there, seems shocking to me.

especially in an industry where fatigue can have a big part in peoples ability to make good decisions.

I would think pretty carefully about only providing 20 Mins break to someone, especially considering that during those breaks workers are entitled to a lot of other things that are often overlooked in this industry. e.g toilets, hot water, drinking water

From how used to work. It was 15 mins every 4 hours then 30 mins for lunch, all unpaid, that then makes up a 40hr paid week based on 8-5.

I'm just confused as to what to class working hours as and what you pay when taking breaks off.