Arboricultural advice for TPO tree near proposed extension

intamixx

Hello,

I am after some advice about a proposed extension to be built in relative close

proximity to my TPO Beech Tree and whether or not I require an arboricultural survey to be conducted.

(If I do not need to, as the RPA is not affected, I would rather avoid the cost!)

I am not in a Conservation Area and I live in a normal residential area.

I have attached a diagram and photo to this post which highlights the position of the TPO

Beech Tree within my property.

The tree is approximately 15m high and has a 8m spread in total.

I have measured the stem diameter (0.7m) and calculated the RPA for the tree to

be 8.4m as shown in the drawing.

My proposed extension is 12.5m in distance from the stem of the tree, so

therefore does that mean I do NOT have to get a full arboricultural survey completed? Is there another lesser form of the survey that I would need? According to the RPA guidelines and from what I have read, the tree's RPA is sufficiently far enough away from the development and therefore considered out of scope.

I am currently seeking planning consent from my local council but am wondering whether the tree could potentially be affected by the development (from something I have overlooked) and should be assessed by an arboricultural consultant in accordance with British Standard BS5837 Trees in Relation to Construction.

Thanks,

matt

RPA_T4_Beech.png.62ab6b065f0f211e77a8cbbc35d86714.png

Beech_tree.jpg.58427d3d4a89a13e64fe2a49a34e5868.jpg

Edited by intamixx

It might depend on the council. The planning application form has a question asking if trees are present. Some people deny their existance and get away with it.

You may be okay, and this is only my opinion, with including that plan, acknowledging that the pavement/tarmac/kerbs to the SW would alter the predicted root-zone slightly towards the property and then include details of how you are going to prevent any impact on the tree. (an Arboricultural Method Statement)

This would detail the location of protective fencing, list that nothing happens within the Construction Exclusion Zone -the RPA, such as contamination by cement washings, excavation for services, material storage, vehicle parking, site facilities etc etc

It may depend how strictly the authority work to the letter of the law, but with some common sense (particularly by the builders) I can't see why, with suitable site management, a development would impact on the tree. Others opinions may differ.

If that is the only tree involved, a full survey shouldn't be too expensive and would help to tick all the boxes and prevent delays though.

You could possibly get away with drawing on the position of the fencing, stating it's design (Google bs5837 fencing images and copy/paste it to your document). Include the height, rpa and crown spread. State if you reckon you need any works to facilitate it, eg crownlift. Submit it up front, with some photographs. Say the fencing will be up before any construction starts and that you are happy for its position to be inspected by the local authority. Leave it at that and see what they come back with.

If the council does their job properly, you will need a tree report carried out by a suitably trained and experienced arboriculturalist.

The tree will be a material consideration when considering the planning application. The council may want to consider its potential for growth and whether your extension will interfere with that growth. They may want to consider the effect of shadow from the tree and may want to know if the working area impacts the trees or the means to construct the extension impacts the tree.

A half decent council will expect a competent person to provide the relevant information and could refuse to register the application until suitable documentation is submitted.

Which local authority area are you in?