Big Saw on the woodland floor

GTS

I am trying to get my head into making a decision about a big saw for 28/30" work, so either a

husky 395xp

stihl 661

dolly or Makita 90cc as an alternative? not sure these two are in the same league as above?? but as an all day lighter option?

I have read loads of previous threads, the take home comments being the husky is faster in the cut, the husky has less vibes.

The 661 on paper, however, should be better the 395. that's it.

So the confusion? Well I don't believe the paper figures, entirely, however but would love to be proven by anyone who uses said saws.

last week I used my buddies 660, cutting pops and willow on a 30"bar. I found it heavy but balanced and really felt the vibes. it did keep on cutting through though. Impressive.

So If I find that vibey what am I to make of the 395, should I be looking at the 390,/ dol/ Makita??? The 661 has half the vibes on paper as a 395 but folk are saying the 395 feels less than a 660.

I am going to need a 28/30" bar for all day working soon on a big contract so, big wood, big saw needed. Its Pop, Willow, Birch Alder in difficult wet woodlands. Loads of standards and windblown to deal with, very excited and apprehensive at the same time.

My local dealer is good for stihl and husky, says that Makita parts are slow to come through. They also said that older saws can become more difficult to service with parts.

To add into the mix, the latest "edition" of the 661, is it ok now???

Its a lot of dosh to outlay, I have found that the husky 550 and 576 have made me some money, bettering my 290 and 261, so I am trying to say that, its important the saw works not wanting to start touch paper...

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for your thoughts

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You mention a 390 . I have both 390 and 395 and would not go above 28" 3/8 on the 390 ( even though it is a ported saw ) The 395 pulls a 36" .404 . So if you are going to run a 30" bar I would go 395 . Cant coment on the Stihl models . Sorry .

Cheers Stubby,

How do you feel about the vibes on the 395?

Is it just a case of, they are there so just get on with it, as they are relative to the power size cc of the 395 or is the 390 significantly smoother in its use? Is the 390 faster cutting than the 395?

I can go with a 28", 30 isn't set in stone

Many thanks:thumbup:

Cheers Stubby,

How do you feel about the vibes on the 395?

Is it just a case of, they are there so just get on with it, as they are relative to the power size cc of the 395 or is the 390 significantly smoother in its use? Is the 390 faster cutting than the 395?

I can go with a 28", 30 isn't set in stone

Many thanks:thumbup:

Cant say I have ever noticed excessive vibes on either saw but unlike you ( the up and coming job ) I dont use them day in day out . For a given bar size on standard gearing and totally standard saws then the 395 would be quicker in the cut I feel . It has a bit more torque so you can lean on it and it wont bog so soon . A 395 would be pretty good on a 28" but it will be a little heavier than the 390 . Depends on how big yer guns are I suppose ! :biggrin:

Edited by Stubby

If you're only felling the 395 has more torque. If you're processing, the 390 picks up quicker for snedding, you can sned with the 395 but the 390 is slightly better.

I had a 660 and liked it, never tried a 661.

I don't find the vibes on the 395 excesive, not used a 390 that much so couldn't really comment on the vibes on that or the 661.

We have to fish it out of the pond(windblown willows) take down mature pops, plus others and drag out with tractors onto headlands, then I hope it will be burnt, just keeping the cord wood.