Help finishing a job... Please read!

Inky

Hi there people..

Hoping to get some help/advice on finishing a job.

Put two days on a job in Roehampton in Wandsworth, London SW15.. Chipper ****** out on us on the morning of the 2nd day after smashing the 1st and making good progress before we stopped on the 2nd.. Reduced a lot of trees, and I mean a lot!! Biggest job I've taken on and we're quite a small outfit so far.

The 3rd day we happily smashed the progress again leaving the 2nd half of the day to reduce a large London plane.. This tree was a real mother... Beautiful but with a really tall sprawling crown with a lot of vertical/near vertical meaty stems.. I took in all of the immediate lateral growth, rigging good size sections down, stopping traffic on the busy road along the way..

Pretty hairy at points, and considering I've only been climbing properly for a couple of years I have no reservation in saying I felt a little out of my depth! I know I shouldn't have but I spiked my way up to get a good anchor point and stand my ground that if anyone said anything - I'd have said FU - you didn't have to climb the ******! Also it is so high up the spike marks are invisible amongst the dappled bark.

Found it quite difficult to get up to the outer reaches of the tall near vertical stems to reduce them and ultimately had to finish the day feeling a bit defeated by the tree - not a great feeling! I've come to really enjoy reducing trees and am generally very happy with my work but this really felt pretty hardcore..

Now I come to the crux of my post.. This was the last day I could work before going into hospital for an inguinal hernia repair (that was this morning) and this is putting me out for two months. The job needs finishing and I'm not quite sure what to do.. I could wait until I'm fully recovered and give it another day. However, I don't think that as a first job to get stuck back into is a great idea, and to get the job done to the standard I'd like to leave it at, I am thinking maybe it is better suited to a more experienced climber.

Basically I'm thinking about subbing the rest of the job out so it can be finished before spring growth. From what I gather London prices are very competitive and I'd be interested to see what firms would put in for it.. Or perhaps an EXPERIENCED freelance climber that would be up for the challenge?

Really hope to hear back from a few heads on this one..

Nice one..

Inky

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would this be a joke? Classic forum ego responses.. I need someone else to finish a job and thought someone might be up for it.. Obviously up for paying decent money..

I think the bit about the spike marks not being seen didn't do you any favours, maybe you should of left that bit out.

Why would this be a joke? Classic forum ego responses.. I need someone else to finish a job and thought someone might be up for it.. Obviously up for paying decent money..

Just reads very strange, to me.

The chipper broke, so there is a mountain of brash from the huge amount of trees that you had reduced?? but you continued cutting, by moving onto the Plane??

Why would you start such a job two days before an op that would put you out of action for 2 months??

Why spike a "beautiful London Plane"?? or at least why admit it on an open forum??

How does the customer feel about all this??

Fair enough if its genuine, no offence intended :001_smile:

But not the way I would do things :001_smile:

Edited by skyhuck

shouldn't have but I spiked my way up to get a good anchor point and stand my ground that if anyone said anything - I'd have said FU - you didn't have to climb the ******! Also it is so high up the spike marks are invisible amongst the dappled bark.

Sorry thought it was a joke.

shouldn't have but I spiked my way up to get a good anchor point and stand my ground that if anyone said anything - I'd have said FU - you didn't have to climb the ******! Also it is so high up the spike marks are invisible amongst the dappled bark.

Sorry thought it was a joke.

Indeed.