Turning chisel racks?

bob

my chisel collection has outgrown its racks and racks are poor design as can see handles but not what's on the end

Don't suppose anyone has pics of theirs so I can get inspiration and get it right this time:thumbup:

Cheers in advance

Bob

for flat tools like skews and scrapers i use a couple of chef's 24" magnetic knife racks .

for all others i use a board with about 20 holes in it screwed to the wall so i can see what tool is on the other end.

i've got to know my handles as they are all slightly different.

you could number your handles?

i'll take a pic asap.

I tried magnets but found when I sharpened the tools that the swarf would stick to the cutting edge because they had become magnetised.

Have you come across this happening Steve?

have heard of it happening but had no problem as yet. i believe the magnetising comes from repeatedly passing or scraping of the tool and the magnet so i try to "pick" the tool off rather than slide them.

have heard of it happening but had no problem as yet. i believe the magnetising comes from repeatedly passing or scraping of the tool and the magnet so i try to "pick" the tool off rather than slide them.

That could be the secret then, when I was using them I had to stretch a bit to reach them probably resulting in me sliding them off the magnet. They were exceptionally strong magnets mind.

I do not use very many tools and most of my chisels ( not hollowing tools ) I keep in a plastic bucket , sharps end first , with marked handles so I know what is what , I like to keep walls etc clear / uncluttered for ease of cleaning up and not having many dust traps , I clean up with compressed air . Terry...

Will take a better pic later

Sadly had just put sand sealer in to harden the soft bits before sanding and it split right down one side

Started it before Xmas but it flew off and damaged spigot so took a while till I dared re mount

Wish I had never bothered

image.jpg.3ac48fd799192702180eb1c63c072d0c.jpg