What to buy, saw bench or hp eagle...

swinny

Right,

I need to look into best way for processing logs for me.

On important thing is that i disslike doing logs! But i dont see the point selling unsplit un seasoned. I want it made as easy as possible.

Not wanting to hire processor in either.

I have a sliding top saw bench but it wont do the diameter i want. I also have a log splitter for large rings etc.

All my wood is arb wood. I sell >50cube per year will most likely increase.

I dont want to invest a lot into fire wood production, so a full blown processor not what i want.

So i either want a pto rocking saw bench, or maybe a petrol engine one? Depending on cost. Maybe a hp eagle but second hand not new. Want to cut up to 10-12" most wood comes back in 3-8ft lengths.

Which would suit me better? And what sort of money are they? Is there somewhere to look for 2nd hand fire wood equiptment? Would be buying a pto bench new or 2nd hand hp eagle.

Think oxdale is closest to me? Barnoldswick, lancashire

Cheers chris

Similar situation to you. I got a Balfor SCD700 saw bench from Riko. It will basically cut any diameter that I can within reason pick up and put on it. Not found anything wrong with it so far, touch wood.

Not used a HP Eagle but the design on the rocking part makes it look like you would be restricted to the diameter of log you could fit in to it. Not used a cone splitter either but I just don't like the thought of a log getting stuck on it and spinning round near your hand or flying off somewhere.

The other one I looked at was the Ryetec. Looked really strong but it cost a little bit more and didn't have wheels so you'd only be able to store it where the tractor could get to.

I was also in the same boat and very nearly bought this balfor but bought a second hand eagle instead. It will take 12" diameter no problem. The cone splitter takes some getting used to. If you are cutting straight stuff I have found that cutting it 30inch long then splitting saves on the bruised knuckles. Then cut too log length

Similar situation to you. I got a Balfor SCD700 saw bench from Riko. It will basically cut any diameter that I can within reason pick up and put on it. Not found anything wrong with it so far, touch wood.

Not used a HP Eagle but the design on the rocking part makes it look like you would be restricted to the diameter of log you could fit in to it. Not used a cone splitter either but I just don't like the thought of a log getting stuck on it and spinning round near your hand or flying off somewhere.

The other one I looked at was the Ryetec. Looked really strong but it cost a little bit more and didn't have wheels so you'd only be able to store it where the tractor could get to.

How much was the balfor? Cheers

I've got the japa type which works well for my needs, I find the cone splitter very quick on [ATTACH]176763[/ATTACH]straight pieces but don't bother with anything knotty that gets done by the big tractor splitter.

I like that style of gripper, gives extra leverage on the cut. :thumbup1: