Getting use of my Transit van

Stefan Palokangas

I got a Transit van from 1993, it was a horsebox van. i got it due to the big ramp in the back. Thought at the time that my stump grinder will go on no problem in it. used it a little but soon i notice the weight is way to much. So today i got a big angle grinder and started cutting the thing off. 6 hours work and still not done yet !

So after work tomorrow i will continue this mission.

I will take it off till the van is just the frame.

But now im puzzled how to move on after this job is done.

Was thinking if this is legal or not, but just have ramps on the body, for the tracks to fit in to and nothing else.

Or to get a flatbed for it or dropside body.

I over payed already on this van so i try and keep the costs down.

But simple with the horsebox on it, there was no pull in the van. and the grinder is 1000 kg.

I had in my mind to have some sort of ramp thing on the van just for the tracks to fit in to, and drive the grinder on, and have some sort of things at the front i can flip over and secure it, and same at the back so it wont go anywhere..

What would you guys have done ? "I got a B licence so cant use trailer"

Thanks

The horse box was not in a good condition, i possibly could have sold it but i would have felt bad for the buyer, so im cutting it down.

I checked up the Beaver tail and that seems alright. But the cost of that would be quite high i think. Might even put wood boards across it, but if i do it myself i'm worried about the finishing work of it. All i really need is for the machine to go on it, and the safety screens to be somewhere, and rakes.

Horsey types will pay good money for a knackered horse box!

If you've already started cutting it up it's too late!!!

If all you need is a flat bed with a ramp cut the roof off cut the sides down go a few inches above the load bed then trim the sides down level with the load bed neatly bob an Ali angle trim over where you've cut the sides off

Bolt a good sized van vault on the back one that will take your blinds shovels take n a chain saw jobs a good un !

You may need to support the tailgate on beaver tails before I've used a piece of steel as a brace on one side if the tail gate that holds in place with a toggle catch & the used a rachet strap on the other side to hold the tailgate tight & stop it from rattling ;-)

the best strength to weight ratio for a load bed I have found is alloy planks

but there bloody expensive! but bloody strong

I did a similar project to carry a 1.6 ton mini digger on a 3.5 ton truck! the alloy planks were up to the job!! & kept the truck inside 3500kg limit ;-)

keep an eye on ebay and the like for them last load I got cost £250 & they came off a 7.5 ton recovery truck so there was enough to cover 20-22 feet in length & each plank was 7 foot long