Emergency price to make safe

deezyboy

Had somebody ring me up other day, his leylandiis root plates were moving around a good 6-8 inches in the wind, and wanted them down to a level there and then so there was no rosk of failing and going onto house, or through 2 BT wires which ran through it and fed houses next door.

I drove 50mins to him at 4pm after a days work, anchor in to a neighbouring beech and spike up each one just as it is about to get dark, took in big bits to take the sail effect out and so I could get out of there, was probably only up in the air for 30/40mins, and came down with all BT wires safe and risk to house minimised. Organised to go back the following week and tidy up etc. Should probably add he was advised back in summer 14 to have the tops taken out as unsure about how stable the roots were in the devon bank, combined with neighbours concerns but decided against doing so.

How much would you charge? I haven't done call out work for myself before and am struggling to price it as was only actually working for 30/40 mins, all be it one of the most dangerous jobs ive done so far.

Cheers

I never charge more for call it, I wouldn't take advantage of someone in a crisis .

I charge what I feel is fare for the job taking into consideration all the factors .

It was a couple of hours overtime with a saw and harness, plus a bit of danger money and hero bonus for saving the bt lines.

£100 is fair for work so far imo

Tom could be on it, mr Blair seems a little on the low side especially with not knowing how much of a cleanup, Dan even sounds fair,very fair, i think total for me given the history and knowing the cost of an eyebrow shape, £350 sounds very fair to me and with an insight as he was warned of the problem.

I'm with Stephen as far as not over-charging for call outs. However, I do also feel £100 to be a tad cheap.

It sounds like 50 minutes each way driving. Bit of thinking time. Bit of action time. All told about 3 hours. Take into account that this is at the end of a days work and in tricky conditions. Take into account the impact from tiredness on the next days work and the minimum would be half a day at whatever over-time rate you currently use.

Another way of looking at it is how much you're truly comfortable with? How much do you value your time/life? £300 or so sounds reasonable.

So there is 50 mins drive each way then 40 mins work in a tricky situation, then you have go back to clear up so another 50 mins each way travel and chipping up etc. £100 is not a realistic price in my business set up, for 1 man and chipper doing all that traveling then clearing up then I would charge £400 plus vat.

So there is 50 mins drive each way then 40 mins work in a tricky situation, then you have go back to clear up so another 50 mins each way travel and chipping up etc. £100 is not a realistic price in my business set up, for 1 man and chipper doing all that traveling then clearing up then I would charge £400 plus vat.

No less than £350! £400 sounds a good price to me

We have a set fees for call outs that you can tell the client before you go to the job. First you shouldn't have been climbing on your own especially in that situation.. I don't think a client is going to be happy with £500 for 40 mins work for one man.

Includes travelling: and chipper.

2 man team - normal hours £150 for first hour then £95 per hour

Antisocial hours (after 5pm and sundays) £250 for first hour then £150 per hour.

I would then give a price to clear up if there is any..

Edited by benedmonds