brake band under warranty?

mattyboy

I have a 550xp which is under 6 months old from fr jones. It has done under 50 hours use and the brake band has broken. I thought this was covered under warranty as i know of people that have had brake bands sent to them after they have broken as the saw is under 6 months old from new. Just rang fr jones up and they are saying that they dont replace brake bands anymore as brake bands are now under consumable items.. bit annoying. Are other retailers saying the same thing now? It doesnt sound right to me.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 550xp which is under 6 months old from fr jones. It has done under 50 hours use and the brake band has broken. I thought this was covered under warranty as i know of people that have had brake bands sent to them after they have broken as the saw is under 6 months old from new. Just rang fr jones up and they are saying that they dont replace brake bands anymore as brake bands are now under consumable items.. bit annoying. Are other retailers saying the same thing now? It doesnt sound right to me.

If its an original band with the slot in I think you may have a case . If its the modded one without the slot maybe not . I don't know how you work and I would not presume to tell you how to but I dont ever use the brake and I have an original ( 2011 ) brake band with the slot in it :001_smile:

HI MATT JONES no there stuff mate justin :thumbup1:there not like if any think ive all ways had great service off jones:thumbup1: with warranty:thumbup1: work thanks jon :thumbup:

I bought my 560xp (in Sussex) last January, did c600 hours by September when the break-band broke on a larch job in Cumbria.

I got one of the guys on site to take it in to his dealer after work- (with a copy of my details and proof of purchase)

The dealer replaced the band there and then- and they claimed it on Warranty from husky. :thumbup:

So regardless of if FR Jones will do it your local guys should!

It should be the new style brake band on your saw if it's only 6 months old. That being said, the 550 still isn't that tolerant of the brake being thrown on at high revs. Watched it happen twice with others using my saw.

Always a couple in my spares box now. 10 minute easy fix with a chainsaw screwdriver wrench while sneaking a coffee and you're back in the game.

Yes, I could jump up and down and gnash my teeth, but they're not expensive and it's such a stonking saw I can put up with it.

Bought a 550xp from honey bros a few months back and recall being told something similar when I bought it as it'd be 'wear&tear' rather than a defect. The brake band on mine went last week, the first problem i've had with the saw but I replaced it myself as I didn't have time to muck about with warranty claims (I bought it as a substitute for a stihl 261 so i'm a bit weary of those!).

It should be the new style brake band on your saw if it's only 6 months old. That being said, the 550 still isn't that tolerant of the brake being thrown on at high revs. Watched it happen twice with others using my saw.

Always a couple in my spares box now. 10 minute easy fix with a chainsaw screwdriver wrench while sneaking a coffee and you're back in the game.

Yes, I could jump up and down and gnash my teeth, but they're not expensive and it's such a stonking saw I can put up with it.

I wouldn't have watched it twice! There would have been an airborne wedge on the first occasion and a re-brief!!

I don't think (maybe wrong) you'd get brake pads done on your car in warranty, change it yourself not too tricky :thumbup1:

It is a standard test that should be done at service, I always do this to make sure the band isn't snapped and the mechanism shuts the saw down immediately.

You also do other checks on the mechanism and band during service - The device should be regularly tested, perhaps from lower speed than flat out when in use but your training will tell you what is acceptable!