How does Auto tune work?

TKO

Yaright there chaps!

As the title suggests. There are lots of guys I meet at work who seem reluctant to change over to auto tune saws whether it be stihl or husky. I'm really pro auto tune, however I have this week realised I have no idea how it actually works.

I'm particularly interested in husky as that's what I run. But I am also interested in the stihls.

Is it tuned via a sensor on the exhaust? Is it tuned due to rpm and throttle usage?

I'd also like to hear people's opinions on why they think that naturally aspirated saws are better than auto tune and vice versa.

Cheers

TKO

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Auto tune is borune out of lowering emmisions and being tamper proof, the engine is still normally asperated, the auto tune module is connected to the carb and is constantly adjusting the mixture dependant on what the saw is doing at the time, it has athrottle sensor so knows when the triger is opened, it also gathers information, hours os use, time in different mode,max rpm,ser no. of saw,carb type etc there are also fault codes that can come up ( you need to plug the saw into the auto tune tool to find all this ) you can also put the owners name into the memory

Does it also measure exhaust temperature?

Just interested to know what parameters it uses to decide on mix?

Like a lambda sensor... I'm intrested to know more about this a typical car uses cam,crank, air flow,air temp, lambda and throttle position senseors feul pressure injectors and so on and the ECU controls all this plus more! Are these saw bulky and heavy? A carb plus an ECU type thing wouldn't mind ripping 1 apart:biggrin: