looking for a new saw

mike1987

looking for a new saw as the title would suggest i want something around the 70cc size currently using a sthil ms391 and am happy with that most of the time using a 16" bar it is however underpowered on anything larger than that and i would ideally like to have a saw that will pull a 24"chain with power to spare if i decide to get a small Alaskan mill i have a limited budget at the moment and would like to keep it below £700 pre vat altho in an ideal would below £600 would be better.

what are peoples opinions on the following?

huski 365 xtorque this is my preferred option purely on price 372 xp, 576xp,

sthil ms441 or ms 461

heated handles would be preferred nut aren't essential i haven't got them now and dont miss them im just being a bit of a jess lol

thanks in advance

mike

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

looking for a new saw as the title would suggest i want something around the 70cc size currently using a sthil ms391 and am happy with that most of the time using a 16" bar it is however underpowered on anything larger than that and i would ideally like to have a saw that will pull a 24"chain with power to spare if i decide to get a small Alaskan mill i have a limited budget at the moment and would like to keep it below £700 pre vat altho in an ideal would below £600 would be better.

sthil ms441 or ms 461

heated handles would be preferred nut aren't essential i haven't got them now and dont miss them im just being a bit of a jess lol

thanks in advance

mike

HI MIKE were you not on the look out weeks ago or is this some other mike 461 ON A 20/25" be fast as there prices going up soon:lol: thanks jon :thumbup:

sthil ms441 or ms 461

thanks in advance

mike

Husqvarna 365 Xtorque is a good bet purely because its a very simple mod to make it into a 372Xtorque . Just grind off the fins on he inside of the transfer covers and shazzam ! you have a 372 for 365 money . :biggrin:

sthil ms441 or ms 461

thanks in advance

mike

The 372Xtorq and 365 Xtorq are the same saw but the 365 has slight restrictions in the transfer covers, buy the 365 and convert it when the warranty runs out. It is relatively simple:thumbup:

Both are decen saws IMO!

HI MIKE were you not on the look out weeks ago or is this some other mike 461 ON A 20/25" be fast as there prices going up soon:lol: thanks jon :thumbup:

not me lol have only just managed to get my hands on enough dough to buy a new saw :) should of added if anyone in the north east has any of these saws that i could have a go of it owuld help make up my mind i dont want to part with cash only to find ive bought a crap saw :001_smile:

But is he wants a 24" bar with power to spare then that's 390 territory. IME 70cc saws are at their limit pulling 24" bars. I know you can get more potential from a 70cc saw Spud but it be hesitant using it for milling.

The Dolmar 80-90cc saws might be the way to go and are cheaper than the orange equivalents.

The 372Xtorq and 365 Xtorq are the same saw but the 365 has slight restrictions in the transfer covers, buy the 365 and convert it when the warranty runs out. It is relatively simple:thumbup:

Both are decen saws IMO!

thanks think that this might sway things a little as i keep looking at the 365 it has only been the lack of xp at the end that makes me wory in going to be buying a farmer saw and wishing i had splashed on the pro saw

But is he wants a 24" bar with power to spare then that's 390 territory. IME 70cc saws are at their limit pulling 24" bars. I know you can get more potential from a 70cc saw Spud but it be hesitant using it for milling.

The Dolmar 80-90cc saws might be the way to go and are cheaper than the orange equivalents.

im only really thinking of light milling ie the od fence post for the allotment or to save a nice looking peice from the firewood pile i take it then that manufactures are being optimistic with the recomended bar lengths as the 365 says it will take a 28" bar

thanks think that this might sway things a little as i keep looking at the 365 it has only been the lack of xp at the end that makes me wory in going to be buying a farmer saw and wishing i had splashed on the pro saw

I know a lad up here is selling a husky 281 in decent Nick if your interested