IBS, crohns, ulcerative colitis

skc101fc

Hi All.

Got this really difficult situation going on where a close friend has been suffering for 4yrs+ with the latter of these, ulcerative colitis, but its taken over her life in an overpowering way. She's spent the entire time period desperately searching for the magic cure diet to relieve the symptoms whilst progressively getting weaker and weaker. She fights against the normal steroid management and avoids any medical intervention. The whole thing is destroying all her family life and has taken over everything. I firmly believe it's as much a mental state as physical but can no longer talk to her without it being a major issue. Her life is collapsing around her and I'm unable anymore to talk without being angry and negative.

Any suggestions?

Shaun

Hi All.

Got this really difficult situation going on where a close friend has been suffering for 4yrs+ with the latter of these, ulcerative colitis, but its taken over her life in an overpowering way. She's spent the entire time period desperately searching for the magic cure diet to relieve the symptoms whilst progressively getting weaker and weaker. She fights against the normal steroid management and avoids any medical intervention. The whole thing is destroying all her family life and has taken over everything. I firmly believe it's as much a mental state as physical but can no longer talk to her without it being a major issue. Her life is collapsing around her and I'm unable anymore to talk without being angry and negative.

Any suggestions?

Shaun

Juicing.

Get her to watch Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead on YouTube or Netflix.

Get her juicing. And walking in the sunshine (I know it's limited this time of year) but it really helps the body, digestive system and the mind :)

Try a SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) lamp which she should use daily in winter.

Positive thinking Audiobooks from YouTube etc can help as can 'binaural beats' with headphones to relax and feel better.

Long hot baths with Epsom Salts or Dead Sea Salt help renew the body's mineral and magnesium content.

Probiotic tablets help restore the guts to their natural state.

In severe attacks a hot water bottle and some topical Magnesium spray to the abdomen can help.

Eat well, avoid fats and processed food including cured foods such as bacon, salami, chorizo etc.

Try cutting out or down dairy, and drink lots of mineral or spring water.

Think for recovery, stay positive and try to smile, it helps.

Tell her (or show her) this and push her to improve her life.

I hope she engages. :)

Talking bout the issue seems to be a no- no now, she gets angry and defensive I get angry. Just want her to get a walloping great kick up the arse as it were, to try to restore a positive mental state. She's tried every sort of diet- dairy free, carb. free, fibre free. - her body has nothing left to give. Weighs 6st, looks like death and won't leave the house anymore. Has been advised in past by all manner of dieticians of all denomination and abilities and is now terrified of her own dinnerplate! If there was a diet cure for this I'm sure the WWW. would be alive with the news. As an outsider to her family she don't take advice gratefully but her family can't speak without it blowing up. They're all suffering.

Freshly cold pressed vegetable juices.

Nothing better for the human body.

See the juicing for breakfast thread running on here at the moment.

If her life's worth £800 then buy her an Angel 5500 juicer. I have ken and it's worth double that.

Buy the veg (Kale, Spinach, Ginger - good for the gut, etc) from the supermarket just before they close or late in the evening if it's 24 hour. They virtually give it away.

90% has to come from within, so if she's that negative she needs to either focus via some Anthony Robbins tapes or get a kick up the arse by watching a documentary or something.

Her low weight and a avoidance of food have probably left her body (and gut) intolerant of all foods and out of balance. Start with organic natural yoghurt, probiotics and build up gradually. The 'caveman' diet seems to be tolerated by most people as it's 100% proper food! not processed rubbish.

Thanks for the help so far. She's done juicing and home prepped prebiotic/yogurts each one seems to take her a stage lower. She does my head in. The steroid management course actually seemed to work physically but she reckoned it made her paranoid and took herself back off it. As I say this has gone beyond her body now in her mind and cant communicate sensibly anymore.

Thanks for the help so far. She's done juicing and home prepped prebiotic/yogurts each one seems to take her a stage lower. She does my head in. The steroid management course actually seemed to work physically but she reckoned it made her paranoid and took herself back off it. As I say this has gone beyond her body now in her mind and cant communicate sensibly anymore.

Do you mind me asking, is this friend actually a girlfriend or even you?

If I'm wide of the mark then I'm sorry, it's just hard to figure out the logistics here...

None of my business I know, :)

A tough situation to deal with by any account.

I would have thought that the first stage to any healing is the need to be healed and the "want" to get better. Maybe some "tough love" is going to be needed in the form of mental help assistance like a spell being sectioned....

Good luck for the future for you and your friend.

Turtlewoods. No problem. No the subject isn't me a girlfriend or family member. Shes simply a near neighbour who's family have been put through hell with this. Dont want to see a 45 yr old die through something that could be turned round.

Hi All.

Any suggestions?

Shaun

Hi Shaun. I know first hand about this subject.. best thing is get a hospital referrel to see a hospital consultant. They know the symptons, side effects and what possibly can be done. With UC the large colon ulcerates and can ruture causing blood poisoning which i'm sure you know what that leads to. This is a serious condition and must be looked at by professionals.

Trouble is its such a sensitive subject and very difficult to talk about. It usually gets to critical level before its faced up to....

Good luck chap... :001_smile:

A good mate of mine had UC for 25 years, he tried everything and in the end has had to have a colostomy and then following that he has had an internal pouch put in and now lives a normal as he can life, he fought the operation for years and now wishes he had done it sooner as he can get in with his life. Your friend needs to find a local UC support group and talk to other people that are suffering or have suffered and got through it. There is a thread on Arbtalk somewhere by Andy Collins about UC and his fight so it might be worth looking at that. Hope that helps.