cold nissan cab

log on tommy

I have a Nissan d22 pick up ( still going... just) and amongst a long list of irritating ailments is the heater which has now failed. plenty of air coming through but none of it warm. my mechanic suggested it could be the water pump but that's going to be an expensive place to start. if its related the temperature needle just flickers when its warm as if the flow of water isn't consistent.

any suggestions gratefully received

tom

she's warming up and running as normal, don't think its the head gasket. did't know if there was a thermostat or suchlike just for the cab heater? I'd prefer to check the simple things first

I would have thought that the engine would have been running hot with water pump problems or a sticking thermostat. Have you checked that the controls are all working properly as it's possible that it could be a sticking/disconnected cable or flap?

Check the top hose to your radiator as the engine warms up (but is not yet hot). If the hose gets warm, replace your thermostat. Should be an easy job, think its right on the front of the engine on those and only costs about a tenner.

I don't think its the matrix or controls, with the op saying the needle moves differently from normal.

The other suspect would be the pump, if that's not working (properly) it could have similar symptoms.

As felix says check the controls, easily done by finding the heater matrix (usually behind the dash) and when the engine is at working temp put your hand on it and if it is hot it may be the controls, if its cold you may have a blockage or airlock, take the connections of the matrix and run a hose through it if its slow at coming through that could be your problem. expensive to buy and usually a horrible job to change them.