Hedge trimming...advice please.

leswold

Ok, so I've learnt the basics of treework but was asked to trim my first hedge, a neighbour's large, old & gnarly conifer hedge which is 30 mtrs long, 1 1/2 mtrs thick & 3 mtrs high. I have a Stihl pole hedgecutter which is just 6' long, double sided & found it easier to cut only upwards/sideways. Do you use trestles/ladders or just a longer pole. How about using a guide line to keep it level? Or once experienced do it by eye. To me & her, it looks reasonable but I'm hoping to improve so any views will be appreciated. Starting to think maybe I need a longer & more manly machine. Sorry, took no before/after pics.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi,

If I get to quote on a 'gnarly' over mature conifer hedge, I try to sell it's removal and replantation.

I can buy large hedging plants of 2m+ and so within 2 years a managable quality hedge.

However, most go for the simple chainsaw massacre and rape which brings no joy to either party but does pay the rent...

Ty

I use a lightweight aluminium scaffold platform that just clips together, I can easily reach up to 15 foot or more standing on it. It makes hedge jobs so much easier and I can stand under it and move the entire tower on my own quite easily.

050111411.jpg.bfcd58fa5928640bf35d3c3a3a355c37.jpg

3 of these trestles with 5 10 foot scaffold boards.

Did a 20/21 foot high hedge , last week,with kombi trimmer,pruner and 1 meter extension.Good job the inside was only 5 foot high(but 8 foot wide) or I would never have reached the top.

There's all different ways of cutting all the different hedges you may come across. You probably find you're often cutting the same sort of hedges though,and this is where you can get just the right ladders/tripods/trestles and trimmer to make life a little easier while doing your work to a high standard.Hope this helps Les.

I've used triple extension ladders as a last resort not the greatest finish but if it isn't a well kept hedge you can get away with it

Do you tie anything to the top of the ladder? I find a six foot length of 3x2 at the top helps it not to sink into the hedge leaving big holes