Nasty 45 degree limbs

NickinMids

Find these to be the hardest to get right out on, especially when they are bent all over and varying from almost vertical to more horizontal and seems less stable when at height of main anchor point in middle of tree. Worse coming back down trying to retain stability to section off. Suppose its just practice and experience but wondered if any tips going.

I had a near 45-degree limb to section off on my CS39 assessment a couple of months ago (it was probably about 35 degrees to be honest). It was a sycamore covered in moss, and it had rained all morning. I managed it though, my assessor said he would take the weather and the branch difficulty into account if I made any minor mistakes. I climbed facing the branch with my feet on the side of it, rather than being directly on top which wasn't really possible.

Being new to the arb world, I would like some tips too from you experienced guys!

Yeah did one Saturday and it was awkward. Obviously you want to climb good side i.e. facing out not hanging backwards or off the side but it occurred to me afterwards that I should have placed my high anchor in a neighbouring tree at 90 degrees. I could have moved up with more stability and got back down easier. When the TIP is in the high centre of the tree your in, it's awkward taking in slack as you move back down.

Coming back down limbs like this is where I like to use other end of my main line, descend on that and main anchor until you get to where you want to cut, strop on then pull rope through. Cut and repeat.

Using other end of your line and your strop can also make it easier to get up there to start with :)

I use the small tape slings as foot holds if there isn't any foot pegs or the branches are slippery when reducing or pruning. They cost peanuts and have multiple uses in the tree

a great tip right there! I will be getting a couple of them for myself!

cheers