Husqvarna 142 starts and dies

Adamhall

Hi all,

I have recently stripped down a Husqvarna 142 and cleaned the carb with replacement gaskets etc.

The saw fires up great now after only one pull however the saw then dies within about 5 seconds.....

It seems to rev up fine, but as soon as you give it some throttle it just dies.

Could anybody shed any light in most likely things to check for. Looking in the muffler, I can see some moisture which I assume to be fuel so perhaps the carb is set too rich?

Any thoughts would be very much appreciated!

Thanks

Adam

P.s ADW - thank you for your comments regarding the e spring on the pulley. Having replaced it with the standard part, I have had no more issues.

Thanks for the reply.

I am pretty confident on the gaskets but must admit I didn't change the needle as I was worried about getting it back in correctly. Sounds like I need to pop the carb back out and give it a go.

I'll also have a look at the carb however being a novice if anyone has any useful dos and donts that would be great.

It is reasonably common for the inexperienced to fit the diaphragm next to the carb body and the spacer gasket between the diaphragm and the cover - this is incorrect and the gasket spacer should be between the diaphragm and the carb body.

It is also possible the H&L needle adjusters are incorrect - try 1 & 1/4 on each as a starting point.

Other than that, make sure the little gauze filter under the large screw cover is free of woodchip, the fuel filter in the tank is OK and the fuel pipe isn't holed/split and the tank breather is clear.

If the fuel cap is loosened a little, does it rev out OK - this indicates a blocked tank breather.

The 142 was quite prone to the rubber induction tube between the cylinder and carb plate to split, this then causes a massive air leak, also under the induction tube is the impulse tube, make sure the yellow rubber seal is seated properly.

The 142 was quite prone to the rubber induction tube between the cylinder and carb plate to split, this then causes a massive air leak, also under the induction tube is the impulse tube, make sure the yellow rubber seal is seated properly.

What he said! 👍

Thank you all for your replies. I have just spent an hour stripping the saw down completely and it appears that a couple of parts are in need of replacements.

It looks as though you are spot on ADW. The induction pipe (part 530029814) and the seal pulse (part 530029835) are knackered (to the point of them both being perished and torn. I am hoping that replacing these parts will stop the saw stalling straight after it starts.

Thanks again, the knowledge on this forum is excellent and I appreciate your patience with a beginner like myself.

Will let you know how I get on!