Repeated scored pistons on Stihls - time to switch to Aspen?!

Andrew Barrett

Over the past four years we've had the piston seized / scored three times on our 660 and once on a 260. Prior to this it never happened. We had our previous 066 for 15 years with no issues.

Has anyone else been having these problems?

We've been using the higher grade green Stihl mix for the last couple of years. I have been paranoid about my fuel mixing and the 660 piston scored again last week.

I decant from the 5L mix container into a 1L one with the squeeze measurer for 5L of fuel. I always make sure slightly above the line. I am the only person who mixes the fuel. I only mix into 5L containers - so no possibility of getting mix wrong. Since the last time the piston went I only buy super unleaded fuel from a branded oil company garage (usually BP).

I have been thinking of switching to premixed Aspen to rule out any issues with fuel. At Lister Wilder in Cirencester today we were informed that Stihl and Husqvarna won't honour warranties on saws if they find Aspen has been used - they require you to use their mix. Can anybody tell me if this is correct? I thought Aspen was regarded as the highest grade fuel you can buy?

If Aspen no good then we'll have to buy another big saw and always carry two on bigger jobs. This is a total pain in the arse!!

Any thoughts / suggestions appreciated...

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We had same thing happen to us.

As providence would have it, thankfully, the Stihl trainer was round our place giving our lads some training. He looked at our 261 and diagnosed the scoring on one side of the piston and told us that more than likely it was "old" fuel (old fuel is 30 days old or more, where it starts to deteriorate) or sub-standard oil. He also said it could be the saw running too lean but it was most likely to be a combination of the above... Gutted cos the saw was less than two years old... He then took it away and rebuilt it for us free of charge!!!! :)

Lesson learned..... We only use aspen or Stihl motomix in our saws now.

I seem to remember someone on here telling me that Husquvarna use aspen in the factory to set the saws up.... And obviously Stihl will use their equivalent.

As long as you are using Stihl two stroke oil in your mix I can't see why they wouldn't honour a warranty when you are using their own oil...

I don't know if this helps, I'm just letting you know what happened to us.

Thanks

Timon

Super unleaded may need higher compression engines ...could be something to do with it .

Used to use normal unleaded - only switched to the super and stopped using supermarkets after started having these problems. An ex-mechanic friend suggested I try doing this as the normal unleaded may have more ethanol in it.

We had same thing happen to us.

As providence would have it, thankfully, the Stihl trainer was round our place giving our lads some training. He looked at our 261 and diagnosed the scoring on one side of the piston and told us that more than likely it was "old" fuel (old fuel is 30 days old or more, where it starts to deteriorate) or sub-standard oil. He also said it could be the saw running too lean but it was most likely to be a combination of the above... Gutted cos the saw was less than two years old... He then took it away and rebuilt it for us free of charge!!!! :)

Lesson learned..... We only use aspen or Stihl motomix in our saws now.

I seem to remember someone on here telling me that Husquvarna use aspen in the factory to set the saws up.... And obviously Stihl will use their equivalent.

As long as you are using Stihl two stroke oil in your mix I can't see why they wouldn't honour a warranty when you are using their own oil...

I don't know if this helps, I'm just letting you know what happened to us.

Thanks

Timon

HI TIMON theres loads of post on here timon re old fuel i hate old fuel i would not use old i would just recycle tip then put it in a new 660 cheaper to do that thanks jon