Cheap saw for homeowner/DIY

aesmith

Hi,

I've been using an electric saw, 16" 1800W, for the last three years. Now I'm looking for a petrol saw for use on our property when I'm out of reach of electricity, and for use away from our place as well (I missed out on some firewood this summer for lack of any way of cutting it on site). I won't be felling, will get a pro for that. Typical DIY workload, for example the original chain on the electric saw will still last a few more sharpenings after three seasons.

I started looking at options, which appear to be .. (1) second hand Stihl or similar, plus points being support and parts, minus it could be a bag of worms and I notice a lot of non-runners advertised. (2) Cheap chinese such as Sanli (dealer nearby) or Draper (can get at trade and no questions asked warranty), or (3) up my budget a little and go for entry level Husqvarna.

What do you guys reckon? Any brands I should be looking at instead of or as well as those I've mentioned?

Thanks, Tony S

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a small echo as they seem to be getting good reviews on here from folk.

I'm a husky fan so would say husky...

sure the stihl folks on here will say the same about stihl.

buy the best you can afford that will suit your needs.

Thanks. Should have mentioned, the local dealer who handles Stihl almost exclusively, was talking about a Solo model that's on special offer. He got called away before I could follow up so I don't know if it's remotely suitable either size of price.

I must say I'm not really familiar with all the brands, my impression is that Stihl and Husqvarna are towards the top end, other names I recognise are Echo, Solo, Homelite (if they're still around, I used one years ago). Macculloch seem to be pants nowadays, judging by a brushcutter that I ended up returning, shame because our old one was great.

You local dealer may well make more profit on a discounted Solo than a RRP Stihl.

Solo are like Mitox- better than your usual Chinese junk, but still pants compared to Stihl.

I'd be going for an MS181 or possibly an Echo given the 5 year warranty for domestic use and recent positive reviews of their pro saws.