Communication

Paul Jenks

Following on from a comment from Jamie M on a recent thread I felt the need to share this.

When carrying out operations that fall outside the scope of 'normal' in the tree or on the ground, I endeavour to explain to all the guys around me what I'm doing, why I'm doing it, how it might be done another way and what I base my decisions on. This may be before, during or after.

The older and sometimes wiser ones amongst us will know there is more than one way to skin a cat. Many of us learnt our craft before any form of institutionalised regime labelled it.

I am very positive about the way the teaching of arboriculture has dragged the industry forward. There are always head scratching moments where no amount of training will get a job done. Introducing my team to the data in my head derived from a few years of trial, error and success in a controlled way is, in my view, a sound way to convert a good technician into a master of his or her craft.

Slavishly following someone who is more adept at a skill without knowing the empirical learning that built the skill will likely end in someone trying a task that is beyond them without knowing the risks associated with it.

It may work or it may not. Without analysis, is it learning?

Slavishly following someone who is more adept at a skill without knowing the empirical learning that built the skill will likely end in someone trying a task that is beyond them without knowing the risks associated with it.

It may work or it may not. Without analysis, is it learning?

I absolutely concur with this, and it holds true in any field.

It reminds me a bit of times tables. In my day you learned them by reciting 'once two is two, two twos are four' etc. They are now learned apparently as just 'two, four, six' etc.

The former method meant that if someone asks 'what are six sevens?' it is so embedded that I can still quote 'six sevens are forty two' without even thinking about it. My daughter who is learning times tables at the moment can't do this because the method she has been taught doesn't get her there so quickly.

However, neither method actually gives you mathematical understanding, so you can't translate the above into 6x70 unless you actually understand what you are doing.

Education can lay solid grounding to allow you to do tasks better. The application of that knowledge can be communicated (more efficient, high success probability), or figured out (less efficient, lower success probability but often more easily remembered once done and sometimes the only way if nobody knows), but the knowledge is worthless until one or the other of these routes has been followed.

Alec

This is one of those jobs where things often don't fit the "rule book". Not only do I find these jobs more interesting but I often find that one of the crew will come up with a solution, its not always me. Having guys who can think for themselves, finding a solution built on experience, is the way forward.

This is why the college boys who stick to the "rules" no matter what can be a little tiresome at times. Sometimes there are no applicable "rules".

Totally agree with all of the above. Sometimes you have to be adaptable and figure out how to do things as they arise. College and training courses tend to only deal with the ideal situation, not always easy to apply ideal world techniques to the real world.

All that said, I've seen us looking at an awkward tree for ages trying to figure out the best way to getting it down safely without mullahing the summerhouse and wall underneath, including going to get more kit and lots of head scratching. In the end we took it down pretty much as the book said to. Always worth remembering that you have the "right" way of doing things in the toolbox too. :thumbup:

Getting back to topic, this is why its so important to get young guys straight from college/tickets in with more experienced folks. Both can learn from each other IMHO.

Edited by Spruce Pirate
Brain kept working after posting

I've spent a number of years beating adaptability, metaphorically speaking, into the guys. They are now a pretty resourceful group and yes, I do learn a lot from them too.

The point about learning how to apply knowledge beyond the primary function of that knowledge, 6x7=42, is well made.

The dualistic way people are taught to do things stifles invention and lateral thinking.

And another thing that can sometimes happen on an out of the ordinary job,is that although you've planned it in your minds eye,once you explain whats happening at the start of the day,you do occasionally not see the wood for the trees as you've been thinking too hard.

This is when an unlikely member of staff may come up with a brainwave that makes a good contribution to the day's work.