Wanted: processed Fruitwood

LewisB

I am on the lookout for all types of fruitwood, Apple especially. It is to be packaged and sold as smoking wood chunks.

If you have the wood, kit and time to process it into chunks, and can deliver it to Harlow, Essex, I can pay up to £400 / tonne. I think the best way would be in a builders sack which I could fork off and then weigh it with our pallet scales. You will get paid the same day via BACs.

It would need to be the following spec:

The lengths of the chuncks should be between 1 and 3 inches. (1 1/2 inch is ideal, but hard to achieve constantly, hence the wide range)

The width of the chunks should be between 2 and 4 inches at its widest point This will dictate to you when to split a length of wood or not prior to sawing into chunks.

If it is a narrow branch (around 2 inches in diameter) it can just be sawn in the round so there would be no need to split it.

The wood must be clean, and can not have any metal or rubber in it. This is very important as I won't be able to accept it if I find metal or rubber in it. (Not trying to be awkward, I just won't be able to sell it)

The wood can be green. I need to know where you sourced the wood from, and the species of fruit it produced (i.e Cox apple)

If you're interested please PM me, or ask any questions here.

Here is a picture of some plum wood chunks we recently had to help give you an idea.

Cheers,

Lewis

a.jpg.bd782b35f813bd1c056d455851a48752.jpg

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can supply as much cherry/Apple/Damson in a consistent size but can not deliver.

Alot of the polish guys up here want Alder/Hazel for smoking fish?

We do Alder wood chunks Alder Wood Chunks for smokers and BBQ's - ideal for hot smoking fish, seafood, beef and pork

We don't do hazel chunks as a separate selection (we have never yet been asked for it) although we do include hazel in our hardwood mix.

All our stock of smoker wood chunks is hand cut to avoid contamination with chainsaw oil as I was told that even a bit of oil can dramatically change the delicate flavour of the smoke. It sounds a reasonable observation to me but I would be very interested in the views of others.

We do Alder wood chunks Alder Wood Chunks for smokers and BBQ's - ideal for hot smoking fish, seafood, beef and pork

We don't do hazel chunks as a separate selection (we have never yet been asked for it) although we do include hazel in our hardwood mix.

All our stock of smoker wood chunks is hand cut to avoid contamination with chainsaw oil as I was told that even a bit of oil can dramatically change the delicate flavor of the smoke. It sounds a reasonable observation to me but I would be very interested in the views of others.

Would the bio oil tinge the taste?