What should be the first step

mickdundee

Is it worth doing a two day user and cross cutting course that is LANTRA recognised. Or can you go straight in at CS30/31.

I've been using a saw for a few years now with no formal training. I'm starting to think about life after the army so gonna try and get at least part way qual'd and gain experience where I can

Thanks in advance for any help

Is it worth doing a two day user and cross cutting course that is LANTRA recognised. Or can you go straight in at CS30/31.

I've been using a saw for a few years now with no formal training. I'm starting to think about life after the army so gonna try and get at least part way qual'd and gain experience where I can

I was like you and had been using a saw for years . About 10 or 12 years ago I did cs 30 / 31 . I passed it ok and it was commented that I seemed to know more than the other people but , don't be complacent . You may be totally competent but to get the tickets do it the way they want on the day .

Just take the plunge... Do the CS30/31 straight away, it's done then and you are qualified. (Qualified to start learning that is! :) )

If you can get some hands on practice with a saw (safely!) first, all the better..... But watch you don't pick up bad habits which you then have to un-learn.

From what I can remember the CS 30/31 is designed to be do-able for an absolute beginner. If you've already got experience (without any ingrained bad habits). You'll be fine.

Timon

Hi Mick,

We are a military/ELCAs authorised training centre and organise training for ex-military from all across the UK. Some of our candidates pay for themselves to do a Lantra basic chainsaw course (maintenance, cross-cutting and felling to 200mm diameter) before leaving the army so that they can learn and practice more with the saw and then once they leave the military and start their qualification with us, they do an upgrade course ready for their NPTC assessment. Saying that it sounds like you are already going to be confident with the saw so doing an NPTC course as part of your qualification would be sufficient for you.

Lynher Training

01822 832232