stihl drive nut

Tim Stobart Tree Surgery

Hi

Haven't done one for a while but i found it was best to remove the spark plug and thread in some starter rope or the like, then turn the engine over until it locks on the rope.

The thread is left hand and they are very tight.

Once loose leave the nut on the stud by a couple of turns then pick up the saw by holding the aluminum casting and tap the stud as the flywheel is a tapered fit and it should come apart.

Trust this helps.

All the best.

Hi

Haven't done one for a while but i found it was best to remove the spark plug and thread in some starter rope or the like, then turn the engine over until it locks on the rope.

The thread is left hand and they are very tight.

Once loose leave the nut on the stud by a couple of turns then pick up the saw by holding the aluminum casting and tap the stud as the flywheel is a tapered fit and it should come apart.

Trust this helps.

All the best.

Pretty much what I would do, the Stihl double ended plastic stop can be used as can this rope method but don't use the metal screw in stop or by jamming anything in any of the ports.

The nut will come off anti clockwise, the method above should work, if not then a set of pullers will be needed or sometimes a screwdriver can be tapped in behind the flywheel and a sharp crack on the crank end shoulf shift it.

Note the flywheel key and make sure it aligns when the flywheel is replaced.

Thanks all for the advice. I have got it apart now, but have a new problem. Any idea how to get a bit of starter rope out of the cylinder? It cut through it first time round.

The oil tank is out, and has a wee hole in the top corner, looks melted oddly.

I've had it before where the bit of rope got into the exhaust port and sheared off jamming the cylinder on .. unfortunately the only way to get it off was to reassemble everything, tighten that nut back on and turn it clockwise with a good breaker bar to get it loose again .. then repeat the whole process...