Fomes?

sloth

Is this Fomes fomentarius?

Found on a mostly dead and very decayed old ash stem, mostly being devoured by Gano (applanatum most likely) in Essex.

It was pure white on the outside, bruising brownish almost instantly with pressure - see two finger prints on the upper surface of the bracket.

It was quite tough to slice, and very dark brown under the very thin white outer. Small pores, and tube layer just a few millimetres long.

Most interesting feature was the ability to stretch the slice from an inch, to about 5! And even then it wasn't floppy, you could hold one end and 'point' with it.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Arbtalk mobile app

1410725776659.jpg.e3d6902b6396fa35dc7a1edcaf9aefe5.jpg

1410725765241.jpg.b8f8ccbea847026e7e2a1c07578d79cc.jpg

1410725753717.jpg.d11a98e35d61fa5f6d70af480fe39651.jpg

1410725738401.jpg.772e9b72986f330a9dff9151551df36f.jpg

1410725724565.jpg.1bfc43284dab15503e4b591ce01b204d.jpg

Thanks for your thoughts David. I know the colour and shape isn't like any of the hoof images seen in text books, I thought perhaps that only comes with age. It was the stretching that threw me, I've never seen fomes in the flesh, but know it can be beaten flat to make hats etc, and thought it may be like this. I've never had a gano slice stretch like this before, very odd, they normally break or are just too tough.

What gano would you suspect? I've never seen them so uniformly white before...

No shots of the others im afraid, and not likely to back there anytime soon, will be in a year though. I'll be sure to have another look. It didn't seem the same as the other ganos which had a rather thinner profile.

I've never seen ganos white across the whole top before, a fat margin definitely, but this was extreme. The thing really getting me is stretch, is that really just a feature of ganos I've missed for years?!

The tree is at Hanningfield reservoir down the path to the east of the cafe on the water, (just over a little wooden bridge, on the right, can't miss it) - if anyone happens to pass in the future I'd love to see how it's developed :thumbup:

Well that's two fungal fanatics voting Gano. Have either of you noted the extreme stretching on any species before?

No I havent, but then I generaly see a gano and move on! my tinkering is long over these days!:lol:

and personaly I would hazard at australe rather than applanatum/lipsiense on this one, not that its really viable to guess at photos on these two