Planting machinery.

richy_B

I have a task coming up and wanted to see what other peoples views were.

I am planting 250 trees+ and need to dig 600mm*600mm*600mm holes. Not all in one location (spread out across miles) and I have to trailer everything to site(s). Have to be mindful of cables/services (have a lo-k8 and metal detector that I use). Please do not recommend a spade and some hard graft! I'll never stand upright again if I did it by hand. Not keen on petrol handheld augers either.

Obviously choice is a excavator. I was considering hiring something small like an 8008 or other sub 1000kg machine. Small, easy enough to load/unload, uses sod all diesel, won't do a lot of ground damage. My experience is using a small machine and taking it slow means I spot something before I rip it out which is handy from a cable perspective.

Another idea was perhaps something like a kanga loader with an auger. If I got a 600mm or similar size auger it would be pretty easy going. It there is a cable/pipe that I've not picked up it is going to hit it though.

Anyone got any other ideas?

Could you even operate an auger on a digger whilst still secured on the trailer. Drive by planting.

I once got domestic sewage, water and electric in one hole with a 6 inch auger! Underground services are never guranteed to be to spec.

You don't say if its urban terrain or cross country. Depending on public access and what team/tools you have. I'd auger 25-50 holes. Then go with the gear and plants. The longer you leave augered soil on the surface the longer it will take to plant.

I would do my survey 1st as well.

Could you even operate an auger on a digger whilst still secured on the trailer. Drive by planting.

I once got domestic sewage, water and electric in one hole with a 6 inch auger! Underground services are never guranteed to be to spec.

You don't say if its urban terrain or cross country. Depending on public access and what team/tools you have. I'd auger 25-50 holes. Then go with the gear and plants. The longer you leave augered soil on the surface the longer it will take to plant.

I would do my survey 1st as well.

I did consider 'drive by planting' but not regrettably I won't often be able to get my trailer right next to the hole.

It is urban (London) and I am hoping for a one man operation.

I am most concerned about the services during this work. At around 600mm depth there is a good chance I could meet quite a few. My understanding is they are 'supposed' to be: Water pipes at least 900m, gas at least 750mm, electric 600mm. I could also knock out cable tv which I've found is barely below the surface sometimes.

If there's concerns of services forget all ideas of augers etc, you will hit them and not know until it's too late. Hand all the way.

You are probably right. It is just 250 X 0.22CuM holes by hand is a lot of digging! We'll be a team of navvies by the end of the job.