Preparing saw for storage ...

Logdaft

Hi there,

I have all the wood that I`ll need for over the winter cut into rounds now & have almost finished splitting it all. I have drained the petrol from the tank & ran the saw dry. What about the oil, should I drain that too before I put it away until I start cutting again in spring next year?

thanks in advance,

Al

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you can leave the oil in if it does'nt leak>>> as for petrol all i've ever done is store them full so there is less air for the fuel to go stale but tip it out for my old lawnmower and refill and give it a run/warm up every now n then to purge fresh fuel/mix through the carb etc but ideally you could use aspen as a occasional user for firewood

I could be wrong but I think if you've ran the saw dry then the fuel lines could go brittle without petrol in them. I'd do as has been said: fill the see, run it to get fuel back in the pipes, then store it. Just get rid of the fuel when you come to start it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

I could be wrong but I think if you've ran the saw dry then the fuel lines could go brittle without petrol in them. I'd do as has been said: fill the see, run it to get fuel back in the pipes, then store it. Just get rid of the fuel when you come to start it again.

Hi all,

Please DO NOT store machines with pump fuel in them!

It can gum up the carb and even damage the metal parts in the fuel system.

More carbs have been sold and fitted in the last few years than ever before because sometimes they can't be cleaned or fixed. (talk to your local repair shops)

I would recommend the use of Aspen or run your equipment dry.

Please don't leave fuel in your kit for any length of time.

All the best

Eddie

I empty the tank, then idle it dry and put the saw away. I leave the chain oil in. I don't see any need for aspen, never had a problem as an occasional user with a cheapy saw!

Oh, I do also give the pull start a tug every now and again (saw turned off) to keep things free and moving.

Hi,

Thanks for all your replies! :001_smile:

After I drained the fuel I let it idle until it stopped running like sandspider said ... I`ll leave the oil in then as most of you have said that`s ok. It`s a brand new saw (Stihl MS181) only used it twice as I cut most of the wood already with my old saw, so want to look after it, have also taken the cover off & cleaned it all up!

Edited by Logdaft

Hi all,

Please DO NOT store machines with pump fuel in them!

It can gum up the carb and even damage the metal parts in the fuel system.

More carbs have been sold and fitted in the last few years than ever before because sometimes they can't be cleaned or fixed. (talk to your local repair shops)

I would recommend the use of Aspen or run your equipment dry.

Please don't leave fuel in your kit for any length of time.

All the best

Eddie

So your saying that leaving fuel pipes empty will not cause them to crack? I was under the impression that the ethanol in pump fuel dries out the soft rubber, once exposed to air, not much of an issue with fresh fuel moving regularly through the pipes, but once they are drained and left?

I know Aspen solves all of these problems, but the Op is using petrol.

At the farm sale of a good friend who sadly died earlier this year I purchased a Husqy 365, I knew he had hardly used it, original chain still on, never even sharpened once.

I remember he had got it with the insurance money from the theft of his Stilh farm boss. I was thinking he had had it for 5 or 6 years.

It had been kept in the house without fuel, just chain oil, when I looked at the date of manufacture it was…………1998!!!!

Filled it with fuel, took a great many pulls, giving up, leaving for a few hours and then pulled a lot again and bingo it fired, its been running faultlessly since.