Which saws do you prefer in the woods??

jnoon

Hi all,

Been a while since I've been on here, currently the private work is very busy. However in September I'm hoping to do more commercial felling.

Question is which saws do you chaps take? And which bars on them?

I currently have a 346xpg 15"(ported by spud) which is a pocket rocket.

A 372 18" &14" (In local dealers ATM because it's lean seized due to a split pipe)

And a 660 30" with dual port muff for the big stuff.

If you could pick a saw for 80-90percent of felling what would you choose and what bar?

I could do with a backup saw, my thoughts are 560xpg 18" (hope it's better than my last one) 👍

Or 576xpg 18" to 24"

Thanks

All

Josh

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

560xpg with 18" here mate, all day.

The g is important to me, was a Godsend last winter.

There are issues hot starting, but once I figured that out its perfect.

Seems that setting the autotune is the key. I revved the tits off mine out the box in bar-length timber till I collapsed.

Welcome back mate.

I'd go 550xpg 15" was felling mature larch for 4 weeks with it. Why take two saws into the woods. Maybe a handful of times I thought it would have been handy to have the 576 with me but not enough to warrant humping two saws around all day. Kept up with all of the two saw users if not a bit quicker.

For general out in the woods it's usually one of:

550 (13-15")

357 (15-18")

Spudded 372 (15-18" with 8 tooth rim)

Occaisionally a big saw (or big bar) might get dragged out for felling if need be but on the whole it's one of the above.

For a one saw fits all then probably have to be 560 with 15 or 18" on 3/8ths I reckon.

FWIW: I'd give the 576 idea a miss - only briefly had go but I felt it handled like a barge. Make an OK saw for crosscutting though.

Depends on the timber really. My go to saw for most of the stuff is a 550xpg with a 13" bar with a semi chisel chain. Why semi chisel it says sharper in the longer quick tickle every tank and you'l fly. The balance and power/pick up is amazing. After having it for a day it relegated my 346xpg to the shed.

Second saw is a 560xpg with a 18" mainly for the balance it has the power to pull it but a 15" would cut better but everything is less work with the 18". You do have to keep on top of it dulling though.

576xpg that sports 18" or 24" personally i find it too heavy for all day every day. despite it being auto tune it feels sluggish compared to the 560. For a day in big timber i'd consider it but still go for the 560. with the 24" its rather good in hardwoods, although i'd after some skip chain for it for improved performance.

I use to run 346xpg 13" and 365/372 with a 15"-18". Prefer the newer saws to be honest.

Thats my set up. I use sugi bars or Oregon pro. The Husky bars will fall apart especially with the newer faster saws. I tend to go for Oregon 21BPX chain but thats personal preference.

Worth mentioning that everything i get has heated handles for an extra £80 you get something that makes your working life SO much better.

Edited by Brushcutter

550xpg 15" bar, have 357 for when 550 at the vet ( crank went after 6 months now pot n piston both done under warranty )

Have 576xpg 2' bar but rarely for all day use, although did a week felling larch on mountainside when 550 played up, oh how my arms ached! Find they handle fine

560xpg with 18" here mate, all day.

The g is important to me, was a Godsend last winter.

There are issues hot starting, but once I figured that out its perfect.

Seems that setting the autotune is the key. I revved the tits off mine out the box in bar-length timber till I collapsed.

Welcome back mate.

Than am for that mark 👍 I'm sure your aware I had a ruff time with my last one it was an early one though, I assume the new 2014 saws have the upgraded band and caps ?