Makita 9010 milling

owain

Evening all, bin toying with the idea of using my mak to do a spot of milling. Currently running a 30" solid nose but I'm tempted to change over to a 36" sprocket nose bar and use a 36" mill.

Question is if I mill up to max 32" timber will this set up be man enough for it?

Also if any knows of whether a 32" or 34" D009 bar is available as that would be preferable to a 36"!

Thanks Owain

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Hi Owain,

First point - the mill size is the length of the side rails, rather than the maximum capacity of the mill. The throat is 2" less than the maximum length. The mill clamps to the bar at both ends and you have to fit it inside the nose (unless you fit spacers over the nose sprocket, which is not recommended practice due to reduced clamping area, although it has been seen to work successfully). Even if you take the dogs off, the widest timber you can get through the throat of the mill on a 36" bar is around 30". To get the full capacity out of a 36" mill (34") you need a 42" bar.

You can get a 32" bar in a D009 mount but you may well need to bring it in from somewhere outside the UK (try ebay for a start).

The saw should cope OK - it won't be the quickest but if you keep the chain absolutely even it will be OK. I would go for Granberg chain and the grinder - the chain takes a bit less power out of the saw than standard chain, which helps when you haven't got the .cc to play with, and the grinder will keep the teeth absolutely identical in length and angle which makes an enormous difference.

If you also have a 24" bar, I would buy a ripping chain to go with that too as it will be very efficient (and quick) for up to 18" width. I would then tend to break down larger logs by quartering first, then quartersawing, as it gives better quality timber and means you only need to make one wide cut per log.

Alec

Edited by agg221

Cheers alec , had a quick gander on eBay and found a 32" D009 with skip chain. Think 30" mill coupled with a mini mill for breaking down logs and quarter sawing there won't be much I can't handle!

Cheers alec , had a quick gander on eBay and found a 32" D009 with skip chain. Think 30" mill coupled with a mini mill for breaking down logs and quarter sawing there won't be much I can't handle!

Yep that's the best way to do it.

I do have some Makita bars in 32"! They are 3/8" .050 guage though - I was thinking of changing the noses to .325 then you could run the oregon 95vpx chain ie. lo pro... but haven't got round to it yet.

I think for the 9010 you need to - change the bar studs to 8mm then get some spacers Products for the category: Bar maintenance tools

I have the bar studs for £4-95+vat - but to be fair I only bought these off ebay.

This means you can run the D009 mount bars - which increases your bar options a great deal!

:001_smile:

thats good news rob job sorted now for makita / dolmar 9010 at last :thumbup:

i purchased a 42'' oregon powermatch DOO9 404 and was going to try on the dolmar 9010 and see what it thought of that length i was hoping it would keep enough oil running to the tip :thumbup: