towing a chipper in third lane of motorway

robert t

Any body been pulled for this?

I got pulled to day on M74 and got a £100 fixed penalty and 3 points.

I never once gave it a thought that when towing a sub 750kg chipper if I went in to the third lane I was breaking the law.:blushing:

The story is, I was towing a chipper 740kg behind a transit tipper, going up hill, an artic in inside lane Im behind another artic in middle lane doing about 55mph. Artic in middle lane trying to overtake but not managing. I pull out to pass in the third lane, still under the 60 speed limit. Just as Im passing I clock two of our finest:thumbdown: standing next to their car in the police parking area on the hard shoulder. Never gave a thought about the chipper and about a mile up the road they pulled me.

Tried to explain about the over taking and that the motorway continually goes from two to three lanes. I also added that I didnt realise the chipper was classed as a trailer::confused1:

Whats your thoughts, rules are rules and braking the law, pay the fine, suck it up and move on.

Or a load of bollocks, speak to a lawyer and try and wriggle out of it if I can:sneaky2:

Cheers,

Robert.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I never once gave it a thought that when towing a sub 750kg chipper if I went in to the third lane I was breaking the law.:blushing:

The story is, I was towing a chipper 740kg behind a transit tipper, going up hill, an artic in inside lane Im behind another artic in middle lane doing about 55mph. Artic in middle lane trying to overtake but not managing. I pull out to pass in the third lane, still under the 60 speed limit. Just as Im passing I clock two of our finest:thumbdown: standing next to their car in the police parking area on the hard shoulder. Never gave a thought about the chipper and about a mile up the road they pulled me.

Tried to explain about the over taking and that the motorway continually goes from two to three lanes. I also added that I didnt realise the chipper was classed as a trailer::confused1:

Whats your thoughts, rules are rules and braking the law, pay the fine, suck it up and move on.

Or a load of bollocks, speak to a lawyer and try and wriggle out of it if I can:sneaky2:

Cheers,

Robert.

Don't bother with the lawyer, you are bang to rights.

Pay the fine and move on.

Cheers,

Robert.

HI ROBERT i no it a £100 fine but better off just paying it then a £2/3k lawyers:thumbdown: bill it only £100 i no what you mine mate:thumbdown: just pay £100 :thumbup1:thanks jon

Unfortunate for you to get points and fined, seems like mr and mrs plod could have done better but"

"I didn't realise my chipper was a trailer" seriously?:biggrin:

Ha Ha, I just realised that I had meant to put roll eyes instead of blushing. Honestly I didnt know:001_rolleyes:

I wasn't aware you couldn't use 3rd lane with a trailer and I've done my trailer test.

I think it would have been better to give you a warning first and a slap on the wrist so to speak.

you can tow in 3rd lane if its an A road but remember its only 50mph on an A road as well

60mph on a M road

you can tow in the outside lane on a M road if its less than 3 lanes